Question about balance - pH / TA and CH

FC - 7
CYA - 50
pH - 7
TA - 140
CH - 70

I originally had a TA of 220 and a ph of about 8. I've added MA and dropped my pH and TA. I've been aireating but my pH hasn't really risen any. By the pool cal it says I need 15lbs of Borax. is this correct or is there a better way, like just continuing to let it airate. I don't want to drive my TA back up and be back where I started.

Also, my liner is vinyl but I was wondering if I should try to get my calcium up a bit. Pool calc says 20 lbs of Cacl to get it up to 175.

My pool is a 33'x52" AG but the actual useable meas is 32'W x 46"D

What are you using to test the water?
Don't worry about the calcium, you don't need it. To raise the pH you would need 15 pounds of borax, but that is only 3 boxes, or you can continue to aerate. If you don't have a fountain or aerator, make sure the return is pointed up to break the surface of the water. With a TA of 140 you should not have any problem bringing up pH by aerating.

Welcome to the forum!

I've been aireating but my pH hasn't really risen any
It could be just taking longer than you expected. The more bubbles you can produce, the faster the process will go. YOu do not say how you are aerating but it seems like you're not making enough bubbles.
Skip the Borax for now and continue to aerate.

Yep, I was rushing it. pH rose to 7.8 by dark today. TA still at 140.

I'm sure you all have done the #'s, but I did the math on cost of bleach/ppm rise in Chlorine vs cost of 48% cal hypo/ppm rise. It's costing me about .65/ppm for bleach and it WAS costing me 1.23/ppm for 48% cal hypo pucks. Wish I could find the 12% you all talk about getting in returnable containers. I called our one and only local pool store today and the guy said "huh, bleach....liquid chlorine......uhhh no all we have is shock powder and chlorine tablets". I didn't even bother to explain it to him.

stack_climber said:
Yep, I was rushing it. pH rose to 7.8 by dark today. TA still at 140.

I'm sure you all have done the #'s, but I did the math on cost of bleach/ppm rise in Chlorine vs cost of 48% cal hypo/ppm rise. It's costing me about .65/ppm for bleach and it WAS costing me 1.23/ppm for 48% cal hypo pucks. Wish I could find the 12% you all talk about getting in returnable containers. I called our one and only local pool store today and the guy said "huh, bleach....liquid chlorine......uhhh no all we have is shock powder and chlorine tablets". I didn't even bother to explain it to him.
Keep your eyes open. When you see a pool service truck, you'll probably see yellow and orange plastic crates in the back, quite similar to milk crates but solid, in back. If you do, ask him where he buys it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.