New Pool owner first time testing with test kit.

Perkolater

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 17, 2011
Orlando, Florida
Just want to see if I am OK.

New Pool, filled a week ago today, will be an SWG pool but for now am using chlorine tabs (provided by PB) in the skimmer. Tested the water today for the first time (PB did it until now)

11,900 gallons, plaster pool with pebble finish and waterfall.

Here are my numbers:

TC 2.0
FC 1.5
CYA 100 (PB added stabilizer on Monday)
PH 7.4
CH 220
TA 100

I still had a little bit of Chlorine tabs in skimmer so not sure why chlorine numbers so low, should I add more? I figured I needed to lower the alkalinity (PB told me that would be a problem for at least the first month with the new finish) but the PH looked good, so not sure if I should add acid or not.

Thoughts?

Thank you!

hello you cant rely on pucks for chlorine thats your problem! go the to poolstore and get some liquid chlorine stop the pucks use until your done and your pool is balanced, read up on pool school you cant go wrong and you will learn alot fast... your cya seems a little high so only way to bring it down is to replace some water but wait for a few pros on this site will be with you shortly...mike

You will need to check the owner's manual for your SWG to see what the recommended stabilizer level should be. Usually it is 70 ppm. If he added granular stabilizer it may take a few more days for all of it to register on a test. What are you using to test the water, by the way?

CYA of 100 (at least....test again in three days or so...I think it may be higher) is too much. You will have much better success if you replace a portion of your water (roughly 20-25%) and let the CYA settle in around 70.

Pull the pucks immediately and use liquid chlorine until your swg get going so your CYA won't go any higher.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.