Solaxx PH Tek Acid Feeder

RCDuck

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 26, 2008
TEXAS
Anyone have any experience with this system: http://www.solaxx.com/ph_tek.php

I've read several of the posts regarding acid feeding here but have not come across any mention of this system. The systems I have read about here include Simpool, Stenner systems, and a more dyi system. The solaxx system looks to be an all-in-one system with PH sensor, pump, and tank which I don't think the other systems have. The downside to the other systems as far as I have been able to determine are:

Simpool: Difficult to get in the US? No tank included?

Stenner: Components need to be custom selected to match my needs and runs on timer system rather than sensor?

DYI: More than I care to mess with.

If any of these assumptions above are incorrect please correct my thinking. How much would a Stenner pump/tank system or the Simpool system cost compared to this system? I think the Solaxx system can be purchased for around $600.

I was also looking into this unit, sharing some info I discovered in my research. The unit comes with 1.5" clamps, 2" are available at additional cost. The manual specifies fume free Sulfuric Acid be used. I e mailed Solaxx support about replacement tubes and they are available but was told not needed if you use Sulfuric Acid. They said the only time they had to replace tubes was "due to a incorrect installation allowing fumes from muriatic acid to damage the pump hose and roller". Reading up on Sulfuric, it seems to cost more and require more to lower PH. So now I am looking at the CAT system.

I'm closing in on a year with the Solaxx and so far it's great. I mix water and MA in a bucket to about 50/50 proportions, I let it sit so the fumes clear and then pour it into the Solaxx. I calibrate the sensor probe about every 1.5 months, calibration is quick and easy. I had an out of calibration scenario with the pump it was reading 7.8 and actual was 7.2, still within TFP numbers, calibrated the sensor and all was well. I'm still on the original sensor, I believe they are supposed to last 12-18 months and if I recall Solaxx quoted 100 - 150 for a replacement. I plan to try a lower cost BNC PH Probe from ebay when it comes time to replace. I do find my TA is now low and out of TFP spec so I need to address that. My SWG is going into year 4 and the salt reading matches my drop test and I give credit to the Solaxx pump for that. So far I am happy with it.

Well it's been a few more years, I get occasional PM's about the unit and want to give everyone the latest. According to my records I did replace the PH probe in October of 2013, I recall I bough it again from Solaxx. When it arrived, the cable was much shorter than the original probe, for additional cost Solaxx had an extension. ThermoWorks.Com has a unit called the 8000 PH meter On the page you will find an Electrodes tab, the first one listed looks like it could work and I plan to give this one a try when the time comes. If someone else gives it a try, please let us know how it turned out.

Per my records I last calibrated the probe 04/14. The unit is set to hold PH at 7.6 and testing shows an actual of 7.2. I have a SWG so this is low for my pool. So in almost 2 years of no calibration I drifted out of recommended settings for a SWG. My cell showed light scale only once and I was able to clean it with just a hose and wooden skewer. Majority of the time it checks out clean. Other than the probe, I have not replaced anything else. I continue to feed it with MA and water mixed at 50/50 in a bucket then poured into the unit after the fumes have dissipated. I am still happy with the unit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well I apologise for not reading the above old posts, but i know lots about fittings.

What kind of fitting is it?
What is the sealing system? Threads, o ring, flanged?
How long has it been in use?
Is it leaking pool water, acid, or both?
Leaking a lot or a little?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.