May 30, 2011
Does this look like scaling? It's also on the blue plaster as well. It won't brush off. Please help!!!

Fc 3
Ta 95
Ph 7.2 after acid back up to 7.9 by the end of the week
Ch 230
Cya 50
Salt 3000
Phosphates 100 per leslies test

No, your current test results are not suggestive of scaling problems. With the PH down around 7.2 you are getting close to having etching and pitting, though not quite there yet. Even with the PH up at 7.9, I would not expect any scaling.

There will almost invariable be some calcium buildup on surfaces above the water line that get splashed regularly. If they get splashed and the water subsequently evaporates, any calcium (and salt) in the water will be left on the surface.

I'd say be careful and look out for scaling, unless you are very confident in your CH test results. I have the same pH swing that you describe and two pool stores were telling me that my CH was in the mid 300's. When my TF-100 arrived my CH test said it was in the high 700's. I thought my test had to be wrong. Well, I developed scaling even though my average pH was probably around 7.5 or 7.6--it would go up to the high sevens or low eights for short periods of time and then down to 7.2 after I added MA. I plan to drain about half my pool to get my CH in the 400 range and to be careful to never let my pH go above 7.5--ever.

[edit] And my other test results were/are similar to yours. My problem is a rising CH. We finally got rain today in Houston so it might help a bit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.