Interesting!

RobbieH

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 30, 2010
Dallas, TX
Passing along a little info, and of course always open to comment.

Typically when we get a storm, it drives my pH up. I'm used to it, and actually welcome it most the time since I don't have any aeration going on in my pool. Last night we got hammered with a very long storm, around 3 or 4 hours. Checked the pool today, of course the chlorine was a little low, but still in range, lots of leaves and organics in the pool (a ton of carpenter ants for some reason?) but pH was LOW. I did not expect it to be low! My borates were a little low so added Borax, and have a couple of homemade aerators running (wait until you see these things!!!).

Again, just really surprised it shifted pH the way it did, and open to comment!

Borates eliminated them for me, but my pool overflowed big time in the last storms and did again last night, so my borates are down. I put one box in tonight, especially since my pH was down, need to buy more tomorrow.

Agitation drives pH up. Fresh water with low pH drives pH down, rain is usually between 6 and 7 IIRC. Acid rain drives pH down even more. The end effect depends on the volume of water.

I was just talking with my sister last night about our pools and PH. Normally here in NE Ohio rain drops your PH like a rock! Well it rained most of last week and when I checked my PH last night it was sky high! Glad I checked because normally I just toss PH+ in after a rain without bothering to test! The same thing happened to her this week.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.