Hayward Sand 300lb Sand Filter - Getting sand in pool!!??

LordX2

Jun 11, 2011
Hey all.

I have a 25,000 gallon in ground pool.

I have a Hayward 1hp super pump (new) pushing the water through a 300lb Hayward sand filter (used for 2 seasons).

I just got a new liner put into the pool, and since I have turned on the water - I notice a small bit of sandy stuff on the bottom of the shallow end about 3 feet from where the return sprays out water.

I am worried that somehow I the sand filter is losing sand and dumping it into the pool.

Is this even possible?

What else could this substance be? - I never had this happen the last 2 years using this filter.

I sweep and vacuum the pool weekly, and every week its back in the same place!

I am a pool noob :hammer: - so I always appreciate layman's terms. :)

Re: Hayward Sand 300lb Sand Filter - Getting sand in pool!!?

Here's my suggestion.

Get a friend or spouse to assist. Turn off the pump for about an hour. While you or your assitant hold a sock over the return into the pool, the other person start the pump. This is how I found I had a broken lateral in my filter. Otherwise, it could be something different.

Thanks for the quick reply!

What is a broken lateral and what implications does that have for the pump?

Also, what will I be looking for in the sock - the sand I mentioned?

And if I find sand - does that guarantee a broken lateral?

If so - is this caused by improper closing?

Heh - I just turned one question into 500.. :p

Don't worry about the pump. It should be fine.

Yes, you are looking for SAND. You are looking for something OTHER than sand. You need to know whether what is coming out of the returns are sand or something else.

No, closing shouldn't have anything to do with it. That said, how about some pool chem numbers? I've seen calcium scaling make "stuff" come out of the returns.

If it is sand it will be very heavy and not far away from the return lines. If its sand you can pinch it between your fingers. Dead algae is lite and can not be picked up with your fingers

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.