Combined Chlorine - I'm confused

Apr 27, 2011
I have been using the BBB method for about 2 1/2 months now. I have the pool pretty well balanced (I think). Pool is DE filter, vinyl liner, 15,000 gallons. Pump turns over the pool in about 5 hours so I run it for 5 hours every day.

FC 13
CC 4
TA 100
PH 7.6
CYA 45

So, my CC was 2 this morning and the FC was 6. I added 260 ounces of Bleach (6%) and ran the filter for 5 hours. I expected the FC to go up like it did to 13. Was the CC supposed to go up too? I expected it to go down. I don't use anything anymore. I was using 3 inch pucks initially but ditched those.

I just don't want to harm the pool by adding too much. Water clarity looks really good. No visible algae. Did have a little issue with staining but added some stuff to clear it up weeks ago. Now, I am supposed to add 3 ounces every other week to maintain. Sparkle Conquest is the name of the product.

Should I be concerned about the CC number or will it go down?

The pool needs to be shocked. You'll want to maintain FC around 14-16ppm until cc is 0.5ppm or below, the water is clear and you can pass the overnight FC loss test.

You are using the fas-dpd 10ml sample and counting each drop as 0.5ppm, correct?

Yup. I am using the Taylor kit. I added so much bleach in an effort to shock. I was just concerned that the CC went up when I added the bleach. I just wanted to make sure that is normal.

P.S. A little disappointed in Martin for not giving Jr enough room last race. Could have jumped to second but at least it did not hurt too much.

Update: added another 260 ounces of bleach at 10:30am. Will let the pump cycle for a while and take a reading in about an hour.

Important to note I have NOT had the solar cover on at all this year so far.

Update: I tested at 1pm with the following results.

Calcium - 130
TA - 110
PH - 7.5
FC - 15
CC - 0
CYA - 45

Unless I'm crazy those results are dead perfect. Now, the magic questions. I will test again tomorrow to see how much FC I lose and if the CC is maintained at zero. I believe my maintain level of FC should be 6. If the CC holds at zero do I allow the FC to drop to that level? I also believe I should be adding about 60 to 62 ounces of bleach daily as my maintenance routine. Should I just be adding my maintain from here on even with the FC at 15?

Thanks for the guidance!

Those numbers look great. I would let TA come down over time, but that is trivial given you don't have a SWG or any water feature.

Yes, if the water is clear, FC holds overnight, and CC is 0.5 or lower you can let the FC level come down to [edit]normal levels[/edit].

There is no need to add chlorine when FC is already above 6 and you aren't shocking the pool.

The amount of bleach you need to add each day will vary just a little depending on how much swimming is happening and the weather. More people swimming and hotter weather or storms usually mean you need to add more bleach.

i dont think he meant to say let fc get down to zero though, :shock: im sure he will chime in to correct himself real soon..... :-D 3-6 fc i guess is a real good range

if my pool gets down to 2.5 or so im freakin out man! so i dump in 18 ounces so it bumps it up to bout 5.0 fc right where i like it, always keep it there in this range @ 3-6 when you get passed the overnight test......mike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
also do yourself a favor go to the pool store and get yourself some 12.5 % chlorine, it is so much easier to use than cart full of bleach from walmart,and you dont have all these bottles to recycle what a pain it is to deal with them,you can but 2 or 3 cases of shock 12.5% and you will see how much better it is to use for your pool twice as strong as regular bleach trust me you will like, i love it when i go to the pool store and i walk up to the counter with cya,couple boxes of chlorine,and some replacement taylor regents and just look at the line of people sometimes with samples to get done ya "get done" is right!! lol i made a funny
im glad to have found this site and have learned alot from all of you and my water has never looked better!..... thank you all mike

blueshrt94 said:

Calcium - 130
TA - 110
PH - 7.5
FC - 15
CC - 0
CYA - 45

Unless I'm crazy those results are dead perfect. Now, the magic questions. I will test again tomorrow to see how much FC I lose and if the CC is maintained at zero. I believe my maintain level of FC should be 6. If the CC holds at zero do I allow the FC to drop to that level? I also believe I should be adding about 60 to 62 ounces of bleach daily as my maintenance routine. Should I just be adding my maintain from here on even with the FC at 15?

Thanks for the guidance!

Just for clarification, won't you need to follow the instructions for an overnight FC loss test - which means testing the FC level tonight after the sun goes down and tomorrow morning before the sun comes up - to actually see if you are done with the shocking process? A test during the day and one the next day will not tell you what was lost to sun and what was lost to organics.

aa62579 said:
blueshrt94 said:

Calcium - 130
TA - 110
PH - 7.5
FC - 15
CC - 0
CYA - 45

Thanks for the guidance!

Just for clarification, won't you need to follow the instructions for an overnight FC loss test - which means testing the FC level tonight after the sun goes down and tomorrow morning before the sun comes up - to actually see if you are done with the shocking process? A test during the day and one the next day will not tell you what was lost to sun and what was lost to organics.

Yes he will.

Something is odd to have the CC yo-yo like that. If you have a pool cover that isn't clear, keep it off during the day and let sunlight hit the pool. That can often help to get rid of the CC along with shocking. Check your filter pressure to see if it has risen and needs to be backwashed/cleaned.

When you are doing the FAS-DPD chlorine test, make sure the sample turns completely clear and stays that way while you are swirling it to mix for at least 15 seconds. Near the end of the test you can sometimes see the sample go clear for a moment and then go back to a pale pink as you continue mixing. If it only goes clear for a moment that doesn't count.

Something must have been wrong last night. I did a test this morning at 10:30am. Been overcast with no real sun to speak of. Have not run the pump yet today. FC is 11 and CC is zero. Looks like I lost .5ppm of FC overnight. I have been a bit suspect of the stuff you use with the 2 dippers. I used a new one today. I'll give it another check tonight after I run the pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.