Mushrooms growing on Tile/Plaster line?

May 27, 2011
S.E. Mass.
hi,
Today I noticed something very unusual to me.
In my plaster pool I found what looks like Mushrooms growing on Tile/Plaster line?
These things are soft, yellow, spongy, mushroom looking growths all along the tile line where the tile meets the plaster....?
We brushed it off and when I scooped some up it has a spongy texture ...looks like mushed corn on the cob kernels...I don't remember planting corn seed in the pool this year..I pretty much plant all my seeds in the garden.

I know my calcium level is low (200) and I am in the process of raising it slowly to stay around 300-350.
Could this be a calcium problem?...or
Is this some wierd form of algae?

my last readings were.....2 days ago

Chl.........2.0
PH.........7.5
TA.........110
CYA ......30
CH.........200
water temp 75

I added 6 lbs. calcium chloride .

Thanks guys, Paul

Hi,
Last night I added 1 Gal. 6 % to bring up the CHL to around 3ppm.
This morning I got a reading of 0 ppm...? ( Something ate it up)
Test results are;
Chl.................0
Ta..................95
Ph..................7.5
Cya................30
CH.................230
water temp.....74

I added 6 lbs calcium chloride
1 Gal. 6 % Bleach to bring it up to at least 3 ppm.
also I added 3 left over Triclor sticks to raise the Cya & boost the Chl ppm.

The Triclor is almost gone and will discontinue after Cya is around 35 ppm or its all gone.

Am I doing ok?
Should I shock tonight and do an overnight chl. ppm test in the am?

Thankyou, Paul

Hi Paul, you need to bring the FC to shock level and keep it there until you pass the overnight test. Using The Pool Calculator and inputting your last posted test results, your shock level is 13. You will need a little over 4 gallons of 6% bleach to raise the pool to shock level and you will need frequent additional doses of chlorine to maintain shock level until you pass the overnight test.

Your daily FC range is 2-6, since you were frequently dropping below your recommended level it is not surprising things were starting to grow! Keep in mind while you are using the trichlor and your CYA rises, your recommened FC level will rise as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi,
I have a question about overnight chlorine loss?
Last night I brought my shock level up to 14ppm.........
this morning at 9 am it was 11.5 - 12 PPM
But
it rained a whole inch of rain last night.
Will that much rain affect the overnight chlorine loss?.......2.0 - 2.5 ppm loss.
Also,
when I did the combined chlorine test this morning it showed 0 ppm CC ???
Thanks guys,
Paul

CC will fluctuate throughout the day, so it is possible to have 0 CC and still need to shock. The rain should not affect chlorine loss that much. I would continue the shock process today and run another overnight test tonight.

Hi,
Things have been busy with new Bees and Chickens & family and of course the Pool.
I have been keeping up with my shock levels around 14 ppm and the pool looks great now.
No more mushroom's or any other critters growing.
Todays readings
Chl.................3.5
CC..................0.0
TC..................3.5
TA..................100
PH..................7.4
CH..................290
CYA................30
Temp..............76

Getting Better?
Thank's for keeping me in line.
Paul

FWIW... It rains almost every day here. grumble grumble grrrr grrrr.... On cloudy rainy days (like today and most of the past week), I can pretty much skip bothering with chlorine because it won't be till the next sundown till I'm even close to minimum.

We rarely get a whole inch in one day but it's fairly consistent pizzing on us when the rain is here and it comes and goes all day/night. Rain does not seem to eat chlorine much if at all. What kind of organics are in rain anyway? It seems to be mostly pure water with city dirt in it which is likely not organic. If I recall correctly what a sun actually is (having only seen it a few times this year I'm a little fuzzy...) it's only when the sun shines through the clouds that I loose more than 1ppm of chlorine in a day.

Richard 320 and frogabog,

thankyou both.....Rain, rain go away. It does not bother chlorine level, thanks.

Richard, yes, pool is a pretty picture, all sparkling and clear.
I will do my best to keep my chl level where it should be.

I hope not to bother you guys too often.

paul

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.