Is it possible to gage the....

Jun 1, 2010
Bonaire, GA
Gals per hour capability of a pump by looking at the label?

Mine has one listing different types of flow rates.

I am trying to calculate the exact amount of time i need to run my pump each day in order to filter 14100 gals of water.

Any help is greatly appreciated...Bo

***Edited to insert correct pics of pump label ***

Attachments

• 100_8082.JPG
    100_8082.JPG
    479.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 100_8083.JPG
    100_8083.JPG
    456 KB · Views: 90
Pumps are rated with a curve. You select the head of the system and then look at the appropriate curve for your pump and read GPM.

Head can be calculated, but it requires measuring the vacuum on the inlet side of the pump.

It's easier to just start with 8 hours a day and adjust as needed to keep the water looking good while minimizing run time.

Try this...

Get a five gallon bucket and have someone hold your vac. hose over your return. Be sure that you are getting 100% of the flow from the return. Then, with a stop watch, time how long it takes to fill the bucket.

Example, If it takes 10 seconds to fill the bucket, your pump is pumping 30 gallons per minute. (10 seconds will divide into one minute 6 times. Thus, 6 X 5 gals. = 30 GPM) Multiply that by 60 and that will give the the GPH. In this case it would be 1800.

Get it?

tmyers said:
Try this...

Get a five gallon bucket and have someone hold your vac. hose over your return. Be sure that you are getting 100% of the flow from the return. Then, with a stop watch, time how long it takes to fill the bucket.

Example, If it takes 10 seconds to fill the bucket, your pump is pumping 30 gallons per minute. (10 seconds will divide into one minute 6 times. Thus, 6 X 5 gals. = 30 GPM) Multiply that by 60 and that will give the the GPH. In this case it would be 1800.

Get it?

Actually that makes total sense...thanks.

I just used MAS985's spreadsheet/table...used the PSI2GPM tab...according to it, using the lower of the two RPM's listed on the label above (1750/low speed RPM) and the average PSI my filter PSI gauge reads during operation (5 PSI, i clean it as soon as it hits around 6)...the result of that is 45.18 GPM...i rounded it down to 40 GPM to be safe and that comes out to one turn over every 6 hrs for a 14,100 gal pool.

MAS985's GPM calculator is located here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/post6544.html#p6544

I think I'll start there and adjust as needed.

Thanks...Bo

dremin2flyhi said:
Actually that motor is a BN37 -- based on the current draw and it is a 2 spd... According the AO Smith Catalog is actually a 1 horsepower motor-- I have the same one on my Hayward and get about 36 to 40 GPM also

Dang...so that sticker with the " HP 2.0 SPL" does not mean 2 HP?

I bet my rookie butt payed for 2 HP when i got the pool... :roll: :rant:

Thanks...Bo

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.