reducing frequency of chlorine additions

beezar

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 8, 2010
Houston, TX
Is it bad to bring FC levels to just under shock levels each time you add chlorine in order to reduce the frequency of chlorine additions? For instance, I have my spa at a CYA of 60. By bringing it up to FC of 20 ppm (shock is 24ppm), I can get 6-7 days before it creeps down to the minimum of 5ppm.

Can't I just repeat this cycle over and over so I wouldn't have to test as often (I start testing on day 4) nor add chlorine as often? The only disadvantages I can think of is that it probably uses more bleach and there may be a risk to equipment, but it is under shock levels.

but it is very convenient.

It will use about three or four times as much chlorine, and you will probably only be able to get four days out of it, instead of five or six. You would be much better off getting a SWG, Liquidator, or bleach pump if your main concern is reducing the amount of work you need to do.

My 8 gallon liquidator reduced the amount of trips I have to take bleach anywhere, and was relatively inexpensive. If nothing else, I don't have to carry bleach from the car to the pool anymore, which is a bit of a jog.

I got my injection pump from U.S. Water Systems. I love it so far. The only problem I have with it is my lazy nature wants to take over. I have to make myself test and check the system as often as I should.

I am using a setup very similar to Bama (Dave) and so far it is working out really well. We are both using Stenner peristaltic pumps and a 15 gallon tank to hold the bleach. With my current FC demand of just under 1 gallon per day, that is just over 2 weeks I can go w/o having to manually add bleach. That is using 5.25% bleach, if I could find 10% or 12% bleach cheaper, could go for a month. This setup will run you about $300 and was very easy to do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.