Why use "superchlorinate"?

rainy

Apr 23, 2011
Davis, California
What is the purpose of the superchlorinate switch on my Aqua-rite SWG? I learned at pool school that adding bleach was necessary to reach shock levels because SWGs produce chlorine very slowly. (That "lesson" was instrumental in killing a black algae outbreak - thank you!) So anyway, why "superchorinate"? What exactly does that setting do? How long would you keep the SWG at that setting?

On most SWGs, including AquaRite, turning on super-chlorinate will simply run the unit at 100% for 24 hours. A few models, not AquaRite, also offer an option for 72 hours at 100%. This feature is not very useful most of the time, but can occasionally prove handy. I sometimes use it as a quick way to get the unit to turn on for doing diagnostics, without having to adjust the percentage setting, and it can also be handy for building up the FC level a little extra for something like a pool party.

I would turn on superchlorinate about 12 hours before the pool party. For a big pool party you want extra chlorine before and after.

On the AquaRite, the superchlorinate setting turns the unit on for 24 hours at 100% and then turns off until you set it back to auto manually.

I believe the superchlorinate will also go back to normal output when power goes off, such as when the time clock turns the pump off. If you remove the tripper and let the pump run continually, after 24 hrs, it will go back to normal operation. You don't necessarily have to switch it off Superchlorinate.

We've used the 72-hr superboost modes for commercial pools, where the pool operator may not be on site for a busy pool weekend.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.