New Pool Build Estimate.......Opinions???

Jul 27, 2009
Area: Bonita Springs, FL
Pool Size: 13 x 29 (3 or 3.5 to 5.5 deep)
Walkout steps
4" bench
Spa (6 jets) pavers raised 6" and then another 6" stepping to spa
SWG
Auto Fill
2 lights
Heat pump
Additional pump for 4 2' descents around spa
Pavers and lanai around pool for total of 22' x 55'
1" pavers on present concrete deck from house (new construction) approx. 42' x 8'
All equipment is Jandy

$59K

This is all from memory and if need be can update when I get home but thought I would throw it out there for opinions.

It would be easier to assess it you broke up the pool from the lanai (assuming that is a separate structure). For the pool, your best bet is to get at least a couple of additional bids and check this forum for similar pool bids in Florida. My take (not very official) is that it should run about $30-$35K for the pool, considering the quite standard setup.

Ok.

Pool 18,800
Spa raised 12". 8,400
Raised steps 12' brick mirrored bullnose. 480
Raised beam w/tile 6' x 12'. 540
Same 6' x6'. 420
Four 2' descents. 2,200
Raised rooters 30 6" & 12". 600
4' swim out. 400
6 hp heat pump. 3600
Electric RS-4, water feature pump, air blower, heat pump. 3,600
Extra light 450
Decco drain 55'. 440
Footers 99'. 2475
Auto fill. 600
Salt Gen. 1100

Brick pool deck. 4537
Screen enclosure. 8100
Lanai covered 1" brick 1996

That's the simple breakdown. Without the normal extras.

That sounds way high! I would ask for a breakdown of everything. That way you can get a better idea where your money is going. I'm guessing he is making a hefty profit. When I was building my pool all the PB's that came out at the time the going rate for rock was $1000 a ton!! I built my own pool and I paid $125 a ton delivered! So my rock work alone saved me about $9000! The quotes I got for the dig were anywhere from $4800-7700, I got it done for 3400. The tile they wanted $25 a foot installed, I got the coping and tile installed for $900! I bought the tile myself and spent less than $200. For what I was quoted on white plaster I got Diamond Brite quartz and still saved $1000! I'm sure your equipment is making them money also. It's all how much time you want to devote to your build. The more you research and shop around you will save. But if you want to just write a check and then go swimming then go for it! $59k to me is outrageous. My .02?

Something sounds fishy to me. Our pool was about the same price and that included the water tile, pebble finish plaster, sheer descent, SWG and about 1500 sq ft of pavers. I paid 1K extra for the footers for the screen.
The screen sounds reasonable and the heat pump sounds reasonable. I think that you can do better. PM me with a phone number so we can talk off line if you wish.

OK......update.

Builder came down to $55K with everything included (landscaping, sod, sprinkler replacement). Upgraded the 3 pumps (heat, filter (2 hp/2 speed) and descents). Will give weekly maintenance for 1 year, if we wish to continue, $80 per month. Also, moverd the spa back giving us more pool space. He said that we did not leave out any extra's........:)

Agreed to price and will go down July 20th with wife and pick out colors, etc.

Would still love comments and suggestions. Pictures will be hard to post unless we get our friends to take them during construction (we are in NJ and this will be a vacation house until we slow down).

Congrats :whoot: on your new pool build. I would definitely get your friends to take pics of your new pool construction and get them to you so that you can post them here. There are lots of great people both in and out of the pool industry to give great advice with no real addenda. Sometimes the best pool builders make mistakes and we are here to help you. :cheers: :cheers:

I am just outside Tampa and our quote was 42,000 for 14 x 28 freeform pool with 6 ft sunshelf and bubbler, 7ft oversize spa raised 18in with 6 jets and spillover to pool, 4 ft swimout, 2hp variable speed pump, electric heater, salt system, travertine decking 450sq ft plus do additional 500sq ft of existing lanai, pebbletec, child safety barrier, spa remote, led lights one in pool and one in spa, all our equipment is jandy too

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Flamomof2 said:
I am just outside Tampa and our quote was 42,000 for 14 x 28 freeform pool with 6 ft sunshelf and bubbler, 7ft oversize spa raised 18in with 6 jets and spillover to pool, 4 ft swimout, 2hp variable speed pump, electric heater, salt system, travertine decking 450sq ft plus do additional 500sq ft of existing lanai, pebbletec, child safety barrier, spa remote, led lights one in pool and one in spa, all our equipment is jandy too

We are getting quotes on almost exactly what you posted. We are getting some rockwork on side of spa. Did you get automation as well? Who was your builder and were you happy? Thanks in advance!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.