New to BBB

Jun 1, 2011
I have used Pristine Blue for about 5 or 6 summers now since our pool was installed. Unfortunately my daughter has blond hair and we have suffered through too many summers with green hair. I'd had enough this summer and investigated the true problem since my pool store never wanted to admit the real problem was the PB. My copper levels were incredibly high and I've been trying to get them down and started using the BBB method a few weeks ago. My CYA levels have also been high around 90. So yesterday I bit the bullet and drained what I think was about 40% of the water. I was scared to go any lower and damage my liner. My new figures are below:

FC 3.5 (just added 96 oz more of bleach to bring up)
CC 0
TA 100
PH 7.6
CH 50
CYA 60

Our water temperature has been incredibly high too. It's been reading around 98 and yesterday actually said 100. It's a little rainy today and has dropped to around 92.

I took the steps apart and cleaned them really good. They are I guess what you would call the wedding cake type with lots of opening to circulate the water. But underneath the first platform where the water level usually splashes against on the steps there was a lot of yellow algae. Also, where the steps and ladder meet, inside there was this same yellow caked stuff that looked like algae too that had hardened. Could this be mustard algae? I'm trying to see if I need to shock at the higher FC level or just do a regular shock. Does anyone know?

Thanks

With CYA at 60, you want to maintain a minimum FC level of 5, and preferably stay a little above that to provide some safety margin. When you have places such as you describe where circulation is not so good, it is often good to go even a little higher still on FC just to be sure you have taken care of it.

I doubt that it is mustard algae. MA would be spreading to the rest of the pool long before now. Regular shock level should be fine. You might also want to remove the steps temporarily and clean them throughly.

Welcome to TFP.

Good on you for figuring out what was causing the green hair.
How did you get those test results?
Where are you located?
what you're seeing could be mustard algae or it could be caked pollen. In order to completely determine you'll need to do an OCLT (overnight chlorine loss test). and to do that you'll need a good kit.
What does the stuff feel like if you rub it between your fingers?

I have the TF100 test kit and I live in southeast Louisiana. I've already removed the hard yellow stuff so I couldn't tell you how it felt. I guess it could have been pollen from earlier this year that I found in the step/ladder joint, but what I found under the steps was not. I plain on shocking tonight at regular shock level and see if I can pass the OCLT test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.