new water with high phosphates

meewho

Jun 21, 2011
I just put new water in my 25000 gallon plaster pool one month ago. Leslie's water analysis report said :
test condition Result
free available chlorine (FAC) low 0
total Available Chlorine (TAC) low 0
Calcium hardness (CH) ok 260
Cyanuric Acid (CYA) low 20
total Alkalinity (TA) High

Welcome to TFP!

Have you begun reading Pool School yet? There is a link to it on the top right hand side of every page.

You need to get some FC in there. No less than 3 ppm of FC at any time right now. You CYA needs to come up too.

Missing your pH. It should be between 7.2 and 7.8 at all times.

You need a good test kit. www.tftestkits.net has two of the best on the market. The TF-100 gets the nod between the two.

Phosphates are irrelevant. In a properly chlorinated pool, phosphates are never an issue. Do not buy phosphate remover. It is a waste of money.

Please don't create a new thread to address the same topic. Either edit to add information or create a supplemental post to your original thread which has the new information in it.

257WbyMag- Forum Moderator

I just put new water in my 25000 gallon plaster pool one month ago. Leslie's water analysis report said :
test condition Result
free available chlorine (FAC) low 0
total Available Chlorine (TAC) low 0
Calcium hardness (CH) ok 260
Cyanuric Acid (CYA) low 20
total Alkalinity (TA) High 150
PH high 8.2
Acid Demand 2
total Dissolved Solids ( TDS) ok 200
Phosphates (PHO) high 500
PLEASE advise me what to do to lower the phosphates?
do i add muriatic acid to lower the total alkalinity first, then chlorine? or do i need to take care of the phosphates level first.
PLEASE HELP.

Don't worry about your TA right now. Add enough acid to lower your pH down to around 7.2 to 7.4. You can calculate the amount to add using the Pool Calculator (link in my sig line). Then add your chlorine. As mentioned earlier, phosphates are irrelevant. There is no need to do anything about phosphates.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.