I wonder what this would cost?

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
I got a flyer in the mail from Leslies. They're offering a 5-year algae-free guarantee now.

The fine print says, "If you follow our simple program we guarantee you won't get algae in your pool for the next 5 years.It starts with bringing in a water sample. We'll test it, activate you in the program, and recommend a short list of products for you to consistently use (if you're not already using them). Multiple times throughout the year, you'll need to bring in a water sample for us to test. If you somehow do end up with algae, we'll provide you with the chemical products to cure it at no charge."

So I'm guessing they'll load you up with phos-free, algaecide, and trichlor. And lots and lots of those 1 lb bags of shock, for weekly shocking. I wonder what that will cost, on a weekly basis? Out of morbid curiosity, I have considered going in and discussing it with them, just to get a feel for the weekly cost. Then, armed with the facts, I could post how much cheaper it is to buy one's own test kit and keep the pool algae-free with just bleach. Did anyone else notice they only promise algae-free, not that the water would be clear nor safe to swim in? pH adjustments aren't mentioned at all...

Crazy how algae is the bad guy and not viruses and bacteria. I caught on to that with our pool store too. Yeah, I don't want algae, but the lady at the pool store even told me...you can swim if there is algae, but I wouldn't want to.

I went to the dentist this morning and then ran some other errands, and I did stop by Leslies to pick up the Papa-san floating chair that was in the flyer. I had the flyer with me, and asked the clerk about the guarantee....caught him off guard. It appears this was the first he'd heard about it. But his explanation was "Phosphate Remover. Remove the food, and algae can't grow." I really wanted a ballpark price, but he was totally unfamiliar with the program. Maybe I'll stop in again some day and catch the manager.

LOL Richard. My curiosity is pretty morbid, but even "I" have to draw the line somewhere! :mrgreen: Let us know if you find out. ALSO, let us know if you manage to keep a straight face through the whole sales pitch. Taking bets, anyone? :twisted:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.