drbond24

LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2011
Huntington, WV
Hello all. I was out at my pool last night doing my weekly tests and adding chemicals when I noticed there were a few frogs swimming around in the water. I was surprised at this because I thought they would not like the chlorine content in the water. My test results from last night are:

FC: 1
CC: 0.5
TA: 70
CYA: 50
pH: 7.5

Immediately after testing I added a full jug of bleach which should bring the FC up to about 5 or 6. A couple of hours later I went back out and the frogs were still swimming around in the water. By that time, the bleach should have been mixed in pretty well I would think.

I'm not talking about an infestation or anything; I only saw 5 or 6 frogs. However, I do not want it to become an infestation. Is this a sign I'm doing something wrong? Do I just have superfrogs on my property? I'm sure I could shock the pool and/or chase the frogs down and throw them out, but I'm mostly concerned with seeing them there in the first place. Is this normal?

Frogs visit my pool every night for months. The amount of chlorine in your pool is inconsequential to them.

I have asked mine not to go to the bathroom in my pool but I have no way of knowing if they are paying attention. I suspect they are far more interested in courtship rather than good poolside manners.

Now the toads! Well, they are a completely unruly bunch (and very homely, too). Why they think they should dive into the pool and commit hari-kari is a complete mystery to me. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I don't have this problem anymore because of moving to a house with an above ground pool. But my parents' house has an IG and we would find a frog in the skimmer at least twice a week. Usually they were dead but occasionally we got a live one and were able to set it free.

They aren't going to introduce anything into the water that is dangerous or won't be killed quickly if your FC is good. They have a bad rap for being slimy but really don't carry any diseases. If you see one swimming and want to try to net it out go for it, but they can dive pretty deep. It was pretty impressive when we watched them sit down on the bottom of the 9 ft deep end.

Infestation shouldn't be a problem, frogs are egg layers and external fertilizers if I remember bio correctly. The chlorine should sterilize any eggs and they will most likely be sucked into the filter. Correct me if I am wrong, it's been several years since biology class.

Mine is an above ground pool, but it has a deck around it that gives the effect of an inground pool. They can just hop right in. Also, I'm up against a wooded area so they don't have to stray far from their natural habitat to enter my man-made habitat.

Looks like I'll just have to put up with their shenanigans for now. My kids won't mind, but I can already hear the wife saying she won't swim with frogs. :p

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.