How many of you add de to sand filter?

Smearm

Jun 17, 2011
Not sure if this has been asked before, but I was just wondering how many users on the board add DE to their sand filters. I have never done this, but from my reading it seems like I'm going to try this out. I have just a little bit of cloudiness left still from opening and I'm thinking this will be my next step.

sand filter owners
Do you use DE?
Like it/love it?
Pros/Cons?
How often do you mess with it etc.

Sorry if this is discussed elsewhere.

Thanks

Not me. No need. I am a firm believer that cloudiness is usually (but not ALWAYS) a water quality issue and not a filter issue....regardless of the type filter.[attachment=0:88wdgxbu]clear pool water.JPG[/attachment:88wdgxbu]Looking through 7-8 feet of pool water

Attachments

• clear pool water.JPG
    clear pool water.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 143
I had a thread going on this not long ago--couple weeks-- and extolled the virtues of adding some DE to catch the super fine stuff that. I should go back and add an addendum to that post. While I was so amazed at the time......after 2 days of not a soul in the pool..........yep, a lot of it settled back out again. Gonna bite the bullet after the rain we're SUPPOSED to get and take a shot at vacuuming to waste and then readjusting chemicals again.

I had my first cloud up issue a week or so ago. At the suggestion of fellow forumites I wanted to try it just to see if my water could get clearer, faster using DE. I'm just too cheap to spring for a full 25# box of DE to play around with. Shocking seems to have helped remedy the issue for now.

Smearm said:
I have just a little bit of cloudiness left still from opening and I'm thinking this will be my next step.
sand filter owners; Do you use DE?
Nope, never have.
Thought about it a couple of times as the cloudiness was clearing too slowly for my patience level (and the kids!), but added the proverbial skimmer sock and could not believe the CRUD that it picked up that had been going into my filter.

So, NO on the DE. YES on the skimmer sock!

Terry in NC :cool:
One home of "Sparkly-Poolitis!"

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.