Pool is Green!!!

Jun 21, 2011
Hello,
We are trying to balance our pool since we had a huge party. The pool store where i take my samples has been doing our readings and telling us what to put in. Here are our most current readings:
Temp. 78
Tot. Chlorine 0.1
Free Chlorine 0
Ph 7.4
Tot. Alk. 145
adj. tot. alk 121
tot. Hardness 318
Water Hazy
CYA 80
pool size 21500 gallons
uses cartridges

So, they recommended 41 bags of burn out 35 and turn off chlorinator. So we turned off chlorinator. Before we were able to start treatment, the pool turned green. They recommended we put in 10 bags every three hours and that the test strip we are using should turn purple for the chlorine. Well the Tot. Chlorine went up to between 1-3, but the Free chlorine is still at 0. So we put in 25 bags and still the same results. The pool store doesnt' open for 2 1/2 more hours and i don't know if i shoudl keep adding more burn out 35??? Any suggestions?

Welcome to TFP!

The pool store instructions are fairly reasonable except for one thing. Burn Out 35 is one of the most expensive forms of chlorine available. You could save a lot of money by using liquid chlorine/bleach instead of Burn Out 35.

What kind of test kit do you have? It is possible for some of the test kits to read FC as zero when it is actually very high.

Also, can you tell us a little bit more about your pool? Is it plaster, vinyl, fiberglass, or something else? Putting this kind of information in your signature is a big help when we are answering questions. You can set your signature on the User Control Panel.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Now that you're here...a little time reading Pool School and other threads about green pools should convince you that we have a cheaper, better way than the Pool Store. The biggest hurdle is that you will need your own test kit. They are explained in Pool School. The sooner you get your own, the sooner you can take control. Just imagine, never having to shock your pool again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.