Considering replacing to sand filter?

Jun 2, 2008
Marana, AZ
After cleaning out the cartridge for my Hayward X-Stream (again) the last time, I noticed that the water still looked very dirty every time after I vacuumed. Putting a nylon over the return showed me that junk was bypassing the filter cartridge and getting blown back into the pool. Opening the filter housing and looking at the cartridge / housing proved that the circle the cartridge sits on had somehow gotten slightly warped, just enough so the cartridge doesn't sit snugly and allows some debris to bypass the cartridge. I hosed the cartridge down, put the filter back together, and then when I turned it on I noticed a leak between the top and bottom parts of the filter housing. I did put the ring on snugly. So it looks pretty evident I need a new filter - even though my X-Stream (and pool) is only 3 years old. I've been wanting a sand filter since last year, however, as my friends who have them all love them. I have questions though:
1. The pump that came with my filter is a Hayward Power-Flo matrix (1 hp.) It is still a very good pump. Would I still be able to use it with a sand filter?
2. The pump and filter is on one of those black equipment pad things. Would I be able to use it for a sand filter? Or would I be able to find one that I can use with that pump and a sand filter?
3. The only plumbing I have is a hose from the pool to the pump, a hose from the filter to the pool, a 3 way valve in case I ever needed to bypass the filter but use the pump, and 2 simple valves so I could isolate the filter to drain. Oh, and I also have a backwash hose for when I drain the filter. Is there any other plumbing I would need?

Good Morning, swimgirl,

1. Sure, you can use the same pump.

2. The sand filter might have a larger footprint but, if it'll fit on, then you can use it. If not, ready-made concrete pads are inexpensive (around 20, I think)

3. I don't think so. A pic would help but it seems like yours would be a very simple install for a new sand filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.