Fiber Glass Pool Testers?

Jun 5, 2007
I have a Barrier Reef pool FG, and my PB says I do not need to really test the water becuase my salt chlorine generator, takes care of everything......and that as long as my water is clear, then I'm fine...

I think he is off his rocker.....and he states that I need a special water tester since it's a chlorine generator pool.....? :roll:

It is sad to hear that people actually say such things, though not really surprising. While a SWG can significantly reduce the frequency with which you need to test the chlorine level, you still need to test all the same things you would need to test in any other pool. Plus, you may also need to test the salt level (if the SWG doesn't do that for you). You may even need to test the PH more frequently than in other kinds of pools, since a SWG can sometimes cause the PH to rise rapidly.

The test kit you use for a salt pool is exactly the same as you would use for any chlorine based pool with the possible exception that you might need a salt test in addition to the others.

As you get familiar with your pool it does become possible to get a great deal of information simply by looking at the water. But there is no substitute for good test kit numbers.

JasonLion said:
It is sad to hear that people actually say such things, though not really surprising. While a SWG can significantly reduce the frequency with which you need to test the chlorine level, you still need to test all the same things you would need to test in any other pool. Plus, you may also need to test the salt level (if the SWG doesn't do that for you). You may even need to test the PH more frequently than in other kinds of pools, since a SWG can sometimes cause the PH to rise rapidly.

The test kit you use for a salt pool is exactly the same as you would use for any chlorine based pool with the possible exception that you might need a salt test in addition to the others.

As you get familiar with your pool it does become possible to get a great deal of information simply by looking at the water. But there is no substitute for good test kit numbers.

Thank you for the quick reply! Should i get my hands on the TFTest Kits from this website? It seems everyone is using them....?

The kits recommended here most frequently are the TF test kit (I think it is the best value, plus speedy shipping) and Taylor K2006. The TF test kit uses all Taylor chemistry, so from that standpoint the quality is the same. The TF test kit gives you some better sizes of reagents, eliminates a test or two that are not often used, and best of all, Dave, the guy who sells the kits, is here for tech support if you need it!

It is frequently difficult for me to chime in on threads like this because my response would naturally have to be taken with a grain of salt.

That said, there are many folks on this forum who own and use the kit and their answers to questions are timely and accurate. I try to post replies as quickly as possible but I am frequently beaten to the punch with answers that are better than the ones I would have given.

duraleigh said:
It is frequently difficult for me to chime in on threads like this because my response would naturally have to be taken with a grain of salt.

That said, there are many folks on this forum who own and use the kit and their answers to questions are timely and accurate. I try to post replies as quickly as possible but I am frequently beaten to the punch with answers that are better than the ones I would have given.
Dave you are too modest. Your test kit is excellent and your customer service is beyond anything that could be expected!

waterbear said:
duraleigh said:

Dave you are too modest. Your test kit is excellent and your customer service is beyond anything that could be expected!

i have never needed customer service, the product is already too good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.