Newbie needs help

AndyG

Jun 20, 2011
Pennsylvania
I recently had an above ground pool installed. I decided to go with "ez pool " chemicals since I am very busy through out the week. Pool has been filled for 4 days . My wife and I swam in it this weekend. Today I noticed that there is a green tinge to my water at the bottom of my biltmore steps. Can or rather should I " Shock" my pool to get rid of the green tinge? I do not have a test kit with numbers just color range. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andy

I'm sounding like a broken record. Wait, you may not be old enough for that....I'm sounding like a scratched CD.

You need your own, proper test kit and you need to read Pool School. Pool School will explain the test kits as well as the shock process, which requires the right test kit. If you're in a hurry, go to http://tftestkits.net and order up a TF100. I recommend the XL option as you'll be shocking. And I love my speedstir. Nobody who owns one has said it was a waste of money. We all love it. Then go to Pool School and start reading.

I am a former EZ pool user. I began using the product when it was called chlor-free, and used it for several years. Like you, I was sold on the low maintenance promise from the pool store. At the time, I was satisfied with the product; at least I thought I was. At least once a year, I would experience algae, in goes the chlorine, brush sides and bottom, vac and wait for it to clear up. I just figured it was part of the process. It seemed like every year the cost of EZ Pool went up. Hoping to find a better price online, last year I stumbled upon TFP, and boy am I glad I did. I read, read and read. I decided to give the BBB method a try, and I can tell you my pool water has never looked or felt better. People have told me "this is the cleanest, clearest pool I have ever been in", one person just said "wow". Follow Richards advice, and you will soon have a case of sparklypoolitis!

Edit to include: Sorry, how could I forget... Thank you TFP!

Welcome to TFP!

Is it the surfaces of the pool under the water that are green or is it the water itself? Like JasonLion suggested, free copper in the water can give it a green tint. It can also give your hair a green tint too. :shock: