Required Testing By Builder

My pool builder is going to require me to have a print out done by Pinch-a-Penny pool supplies once a month. They say it is to keep warranty of the Pebble Tech finish. The warranty is lifetime.
I wanted to ask if anyone has experience with this company, and what they will charge me for this print-out of water test.

Normally they will do it for free on the hope that you will buy something when you are there. Every once in a long while you will run into a store employee who is grumpy about it, but generally they are more than happy to help out. The challenge is to get out without buying anything you don't need.

It has to be Pinch-a-penny? If so, I'd say there's more to that than meets the eye! (you scratch my back I'll scratch yours). As Jason said, most of the time they're glad to do it. And you can buy some of your needs there from time to time.

Welcome to TFP!!

Here's my read on this:

PB wants to be sure you don't chemically abuse his warrantied finish. He doesn't trust you to test the water, or report it accurately. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he believes that Pinch-A-Penny will test the water for free and give you a print-out. He wants documented proof that you followed his chem level requirements, if you don't provide them, he can invalidate his warranty.

However, what he and P-A-P don't know is when the sample they test was taken :twisted: If you want to play the game by our rules, but doing so might invalidate your warranty - fill a couple of jugs with pool water that tests 'within range' and store them in a cool dark place. When you have to have P-A-P test the water, use that. You might want to add a drop or so of bleach to the ~ 1 cup sample you bring or dilute it slightly with tap water, so the numbers aren't always the same :idea:

I don't know if you would have to cheat. Did the PB say that you had to follow the store recommendations or just that your numbers had to be in an acceptable range? As long as you check it yourself before and everything is in spec, the store shouldn't show much difference and you should be able to ignore their sales pitch without risking your warranty.

I was so excited to find this site, knowing I would be able to care for my new pool myself. (With all of your help of course.) Then to be told I had to test with a single dealer, I was put out. I do get the warranty issue, and understand if wrong I can ruin the finish. I will abide by the PB's regulations. Guess I will even buy needed items from P-a-P. After a visit to my local P-a-P, they do test for free. I had the same ideas you all had about ulterior motives. Hopefully with everyone's assistance I'll have perfect water every time. Figure if I test with my TF100 before going, I'll make sure.
Thanks again to all.
Pictures of build coming soon. Permit applied for yesterday, and expect excavator on July 5th.

Just a thought: Could you not perform and track your own testing along with the PaP testing? If you provided the PB with MORE detailed and more frequent testing results (via TF-100), he might realize that you are not the typical hands-off pool owner and relax on this requirement a bit.

I will inquire about providing my own test. I do know that P-a-P provides a print out. Pretty sure it will be up to Florida Jems pool finish and not the pool builder.
By the way Ohm-Boy, the way they get around that is there are no purchase requirements from P-a-P for their testing.

True, but there may or may not still be an unlawful business tie-in. To say that if you get your water professionally tested at Leslies, or some other business which provides as reputable a service as p-a-p, then we refuse warranty service, is, in my opinion, unlawful in light of the intent of the warranty law, as it places the focus not on whether the water was properly cared for, but instead on where the water was tested. But as I mentioned earlier, I am NOT a lawyer, and nothing I say should be construed as legal counsel or advice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.