My test results

DLSDO

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 27, 2007
Midwest
New pool has been running for 2 weeks now. How do these numbers look? Any suggestions? Will be closing in a few weeks.

Outside T-27
Water T-52
FC-9 (chlorine feeder set at lowest setting)
CC-0
pH-7.4
TA-110
CH-180
CYA-30

Thanks

The PH, TA, and CH will still be rising from curing plaster, but the cold water temperature will have slowed that down substantially. You don't want to leave the calcium saturation that low over the winter, but it is difficult to say how much increase you are going to get from plaster curing at that low temperature. I would bring up the CH level, to perhaps 300, before you close. If you are still seeing regular PH rise then put that off till near closing, but if the PH rise has slowed dramatically then go ahead and do it right away.

Hi, Dave,

You're not hurting anything. but your FC is too high. With your winter temps and CYA level, I'd let the FC drift down to around 2-4ppm.

It sounds like you were running the SWG higher than it's lowest setting for a while. I'd shut it off to let the FC come down and then turn it back on when it gets where you want.

Jason,

The pH is still drifting up but slowly. I added MA yesterday. I suspect I might need to add more MA. What do you think?

Where should I get the calcium and how should it be added to the pool?

Is my TA okay? I suspect that the TA will fall with the additional acid I keep adding....how do you add baking soda? A stocking over a return?

Dave,

I will turn off the chlorine feeder. I plan BBB but wanted to use the trichlor pucks in the feeder to get my CYA up. Does the CYA level look okay?

Thanks so much for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Dave,

Calcium can be bought (almost exclusively) at the pool store. It is typically called calcium hardness plus or similar. You add it by distributing it across the surface of the pool then brush to get good mixing.

Your TA looks fine and will be OK to come down all the way to 70-80. It may actually help keep your pH from rising if you bring TA to a lower level. But, lower TA = lower calcium saturation index, so you definitely want to get your calcium hardness up. No need for baking soda now.

Your CYA level is good. Keep it at 30-50.

ktdave said:
Hi Dave,

Calcium can be bought (almost exclusively) at the pool store. It is typically called calcium hardness plus or similar. You add it by distributing it across the surface of the pool then brush to get good mixing.

Your TA looks fine and will be OK to come down all the way to 70-80. It may actually help keep your pH from rising if you bring TA to a lower level. But, lower TA = lower calcium saturation index, so you definitely want to get your calcium hardness up. No need for baking soda now.

Your CYA level is good. Keep it at 30-50.

Excellent. Thanks.

Should I be keeping the pH a little lower?

Just for future reference...how do you add baking soda?

I would be in a mighty confused state if it wasn't for you folks and this great site.

Thanks again!

W-a-a-a-y too many Dave's in this thread!! :lol: :lol:

Sorry I mistook your chlorine feeder for SWG.....your post was clear...my interpretation of it was not!.

Good work on all your chemistry....you got a good handle on this whole thing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.