Just replaced SC-36 cell & cable, still get "Check/Clean" er

Jun 8, 2008
Rhode Island
OK - I have tried to do my homework prior to this posting... this forum has taught me so much over the years, I'm going to the well once again...

I have an Autopilot SC-36 that is 5 yrs old, after receiving numerous "Check/Clean Cell" messages late last year, I decided to replace the Salt Cell & Cable for the pool opening this Spring.

Fast forward to this Spring, I just finished replacing the SC-36 Salt Cell & Cable in the pool system, and was sure to use the REPLACE CELL command to reset the cell counter on the AutoPilot - but I am still getting an error "Check/Clean Cell" message. I have checked cables, connections, etc everything looks good...

Autopilot Test:
Power Level 2
16 V, 4.3 A

Current pool readings are:

FC 0.5 ppm
TC 0.7 ppm
CC 0.2 ppm
pH 7.9
Hardness 230 ppm
Alk. 86 ppm
CYA 15 ppm
Salt 2600 ppm

I am raising the CYA tonight, as well as Alkalinity - so I am confident I can get those numbers perfect by week's end...

Any advice on what the "Check/Clean Cell" message could mean in this situation...?? Any help would be so appreciated.

-- Mitchman

Re: Just replaced SC-36 cell & cable, still get "Check/Clean

Poolsean said:
Is 2600 ppm what the DIG is showing you, or is that from a salt test?
Have you inspected the cell to ensure that there is no debris or scale?
What's your water temperature?

Great question on the salt reading, the Autopilot was reading 3900 ppm, so I decided to have it tested 2 additional times and the lab readings were in the 2600-2700 ppm range. So for the posting I opted for the 2600 reading. As for the SC-36 Cell it's brand new, the old cell did have build up from previous years of usage. I was hoping a cell/cable change would clear up the errors... but not yet. :?

Pool temperature is in the 79 - 82 degree range.

Thanks for your help.

Do you have an indoor or outdoor pool? If indoor, I'm not concerned with the CYA level. But if it's outdoor, increase it from 15 ppm to at least 60 ppm (60 - 80 is the recommended range).
I would also increase your salinity to 3000 ppm, or better, 3500 ppm. For 20K gallons, this would be 67 lbs (to get to 3000 ppm) or 120 lbs (to get to 3500 ppm).
Let it circulate a few hours then retest. It should give you a better amps and volts reading, and eliminate the Check/Clean Cell display.

If not, and you're comfortable with electricity, check your voltage going to the DIG unit. It should be 220 volts, which is the factory setting. If you're getting 110 volts, and the unit is wired for 220 volts, you may get that error message too. Check your circuit breakers to make sure one of the two legs hasn't tripped off.

Poolsean said:
Do you have an indoor or outdoor pool? I would also increase your salinity to 3000 ppm, or better, 3500 ppm. If you're comfortable with electricity, check your voltage going to the DIG unit. It should be 220 volts, which is the factory setting.

Poolsean
Thank you for your help on this..

My pool is outdoor pool, and I have brought my salt to 3,000 ppm.. my most current numbers..
FC = 1
CYA = 50
Alk = 100
Calc = 240
Salt = 3,000 ppm
Temp = 78
pH = 7.4

SC-36 software ver 4.2
Power Level 2
V 15.0, A 3.9

As for electricity, I have 220 V going into the Autopilot unit - should I test internally on the Autopilot for the electricity feeds that go to the Salt Cell, etc..?

So I'm still getting the "Check/Clean Cell" error, i just want to make sure the new Salt Cell is working OK (making a small amount of FC) but I'm concerned since the Volts/Amps seem low from an Autopilot manual perspective.

Thanks again

Is the cell clean of calcium scale?
The main reasons for the Check/Clean Cell display are:
scaled cell
cold water conditions - below 65 degrees
low salt - less than 2400 ppm
but these conditions would typically drive the voltage higher, towards 29 volts. It's actually less with the SC-36 cell.

For the voltage to be low, with low amps too, you're looking at:
low salt - 2000 or less
power supply incoming voltage issue - factory wired for 220 volts but being supplied by 110 volts.
power supply module (circuit board) damage

Once you've gone through checking all the possibilities, it sounds like we're ending up with the power module being damaged...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.