URGENT help needed...

so got my pool set up and, the good news is it is perfectly level I was quite happy with that outcome..

the bad news... my intex salt water chlorinator died on me, I added the recommended amount of salt, ran the filter for 24 hours I went to turn the intex saltwater converter on and got "code 90" checked the flow valve and it was fine. Then checked the connection (receptacle that connects to the flow valve) and one of the prongs is broken.

I called around the find a replacement unit, and all places I called are sold out.

I am not sure what to do at this point, one place told me they will have some this Thursday.

Please HELP... I am currently running the filter, but I have no chlorine generator... I am at a loss...

Thanks in advance....

Get your estimated gallons from poolcalculator.com

Get a set of test numbers, and plug them into the same website. Bring chlorine into range using the amount of bleach recommended by the calculator.

Thanks everyone for the prompt responses. My wife made some calls and walmart had one unit left. Phew!!!!! Which is funny because i called before my wife got home and they told me they were sold out... :? must be my approach :)

I figured I would replace the whole unit with a new one, instead of getting parts, which would take weeks to get here anyway...

I do have one more question. I checked my salt levels, and they are currently sitting at 2600 ppm a little below the 3000 - 3200 ppm recommended. I added additional salt.

Would I need to wait another 24 hours before turning on the salt chlorinator? I know if I run it now i will probably get the low salt code.

Cheers

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
nemo,

I know you didn't ask but.....

Your pH is too high...lower it with muriatic acid.

Get some FC (don't count on the SWG, put in some bleach) in your pool today.....you do not have adequate sanitation

Do you have any CYA in the pool? How much?

So after scrambling around this morning getting my 6 year old ready for school, I managed to grab a bottle of pool water, and brought it to the pool place to have them test it..

here are the readings...

FC - 0.8
Ph - 7.8
Alkalinity - 187ppm
CYA - 10 ppm
Salt- 3800ppm

this is what they recommended

Add - 898 g of stablizer
Add - 3.3 l of muriatic acid or 4 kg of PH minus

this is what the pool calculator recommended

for FC - Add - 28 oz of 6% bleach
for pH - Add - 27 oz of muriatic acid
for CYA - Add 24 oz of stablizer

little confused here.... :?

that being said, I will put some muriatic acid in when I get home from work, as well as stablizer..

I'm not really clear on what you are confused about. You need to lower PH, raise CYA, and add more chlorine. The quantities are a little different between the Pool Calculator and the pool store, but not dramatically different.

You really ought to get your own test kit. It will save you trips to the Pool Store for testing, where they will tempt you with phosphate removers, clarifiers, and whatever else they think you'll buy. With your high TA and a SWG, expect to see pH rising a lot. Wouldn't you like to be able to check it whenever you want and deal with it promptly?

You're also going to need a good chlorine test to get your SWG dialed-in. The FAS-DPD test used in the TF100 and the K-2006 will measure to .2 ppm increments all the way up to 50 ppm! I urge you to buy one ASAP. You can thank me in a month when the compliments start rolling in about how fabulously clear your pool is.
:testkit:

Richard320 said:
You really ought to get your own test kit. It will save you trips to the Pool Store for testing, where they will tempt you with phosphate removers, clarifiers, and whatever else they think you'll buy. With your high TA and a SWG, expect to see pH rising a lot. Wouldn't you like to be able to check it whenever you want and deal with it promptly?

You're also going to need a good chlorine test to get your SWG dialed-in. The FAS-DPD test used in the TF100 and the K-2006 will measure to .2 ppm increments all the way up to 50 ppm! I urge you to buy one ASAP. You can thank me in a month when the compliments start rolling in about how fabulously clear your pool is.
:testkit:

I do have a test kit... but apparently it's not good enough, what I use is the test strips. I have been to several pool places and not one of them sells test kits like the ones recommended on here, they just have the test stripes, which I have found out are not very accruate.

The pool place I go to is just around the corner from where i work, actually there are 2 pool places within walking distance from where I work, one just wants me to buy all these chemicals and the other which I go to seems very honest. So i just walk over with my pool water and they test it.

This place came highly recommended to me by my neighbors who told me that they have never used a test kit in the 5 years of owning their pool. I thought it was a bit strange when they told me.

I appreciate the advice and I will most likely get a proper test kit.

I have to give credit the this pool place as the lady told me (whispered to me actually) to use bleach as opposed buying something off thier shelf.

Cheers

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.