Can I replace the LM2-15 cell for the LM2-24 or LM3-24 cell?

deo

Nov 6, 2007
I am using the LM2-15 ZODIAC/Clearwater system in a pool of 22, 000 gal. The Cl is always low if not zero. The PB installed with the Mineral 2 cartridge. but the pool still have a lot of algae and low cl. So I am thinking to replace the cells with the next model LM2-24 or LM3-24. The cells look in dimension about the same,so they can fit mechanically well, I guest the Voltage is the same, the new 24s might use more current, I guest the problem will be the feedback. Does anybody knows if I can use the LM2-24 in a LM2-15 unit?
In the other hand, I am very disappointed of the Zodiac system, so I am thinking to save extra money to repace it altogether for another system.

Thanks in advance
deo

Welcome to TFP!

No SWG will work correctly while there is algae growing in the water. You need to kill off all the algae with an external chlorine source, I suggest bleach but many things will work, before the SWG will operate correctly. Algae creates too much chlorine demand for any reasonably sized SWG to keep up. To kill off the algae you want to bring the chlorine level up very quickly, which a SWG is not at all good at doing.

The LM2-15 is on the small side for that pool, but it should work just fine in all but the very hottest weather or if you had many people swimming in the pool every day. In those cases it is simple enough to supplement it with some additional chlorine.

Do you have a full set of water test numbers? You need to know your CYA level in order to know how much chlorine to use to kill off the algae. It would also be good to know all of your other levels, including salt, to be sure there aren't additional problems that are complicating the situation.

Thanks Jason,
I am using an Algae Killer evey week (2-4 cups), it is the one that Leslie's pools sells. But I will think if the chlorine level is correct , there will not be any algae grow.
What do you think of replacing my cell with a bigger one? Will it work?
I will post my last two analyses in a few days, I am not @ home

It is remotely possible, but very unlikely, that you got algae because the cell was too small. You almost certainly got algae because of some other problem, incorrect CYA level, incorrect salt level, incorrect SWG percentage setting, etc. Now that you have algae, getting a larger cell won't help. You need to kill off the algae with additional chlorine.

It is almost always better to have a larger SWG cell. If you can afford it by all means get a larger cell. Just keep in mind that it is very unlikely that that will help in the current situation or prevent something similar from happening again. When properly used the smaller cell should have been sufficient for your pool in all but the very hottest weather or very heavy bather load.

Attachments

• winterize pipe 002_crop.jpg
    winterize pipe 002_crop.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 10
Thanks Jason,
I do not have the analyses with me at this time (out of town), but when I take it to test (leslies) the only thing that it lacks 100% of the time is Chlorine. sometimes Ph is high, and they tell me when I need conditioner. That is the reason I think the cell is undersize, I have to shock it almost everymonth ,specially in summer time to increase the Chlorine to normal levels.

It might be that leslies specs sheet is made for Chlorine pools and the salt pools require differente values for Calcium, cya, etc and their recomended dosis is different for each pool. The salt is included in their test, and it always around 4000 ppm

As soon I get home, I will send two or 3 of those analyses...
Thanks
Deo

I definately would not replace the cell until you get your pool under control, no algae, proper CYA, pH, FC/CC, and
salt PPM numbers. Running with a smaller cell only means it has to generate Chlorine more often, which, in the long
run will shorten the life of the cell, but you can always run it on a lower setting and augment with bleach on really hot days or
high bather loads/heavy rainfall. But get your water balanced and run your SWG from a clean slate... and maybe keep it at a higher setting for the first little while to see if it can keep up with the chlorine demand. If you are thinking of replacing the cell down the road anyways, you might as well get as much use out of this one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.