Filter Sand - When to change

May 5, 2011
Western IL
I have a pool that came with the house. The sand filter has a mfg date of 2001. I don't know if the sand has ever been changed. However, it doesn't seem to filter efficiently. I have to run the filter 24/7 and even then the water does not clear up very fast. We've had a ton of rain the last few weeks and a lot of dirt in the pool. It's a little better after a back flush but the pressure never drops very much. Always seems to run around 18 ~ 20 psi. Think it's time to change the media? Thanks

There isn't normally any reason to replace the sand in a sand filter. About the only time you need to change the sand is if the sand get calcium scale that causes it to clump up and stop filtering.

Sand filters often take a week, sometimes longer to clear up a pool after a lot of debris gets in the water, and that is assuming there isn't any live algae, which will slow things down dramatically.

If you are concerned about the sand it is probably worth opening up the filter and checking on the condition of the sand. You can follow the directions in this post to clean and resettle the sand bed.

Post a set of test results for us. It may be something besides the sand.

Sand doesn't as a rule wear out. I'd suggest backflushing really well. Until the water is completely clear and then some. I'd then remove the top and resettle the sand bed. Be careful not to damage a lateral or the stand pipe. Also it's probably a good idea to replace the spider gasket in the multiport or o-rings in the slider valve whichever you have.

I seem to constantly be chasing Jason, saying the same thing. :hammer:

It sounds like your pool isn't that much smaller than mine. Do you know which sand filter you have?

Here is what my experience has been. It can take a while to clear, especially after shocking, a bunch of debris in the pool, etc. All that dirt is going to make it harder for the water to clear, so if you can find a way to get it out, do.

So if your filter normally runs at 18-20, are you waiting until it gets to 26-28 before backflushing? It shouldn't need to be backflushed before then. Next, be sure you wait about 30 seconds before re-engaging the filter to give the sand time to settle back down.

Another trick is to put some DE into your sand filter. All you need to do is pour it into the skimmer, enough to raise your PSI by 1. On my 600 lb filter it takes about 2/3 cup of DE, but your mileage may vary.

Also your pH could be off and you could have calcium issues. As stated above, a full set of test numbers will help us determine if that's the problem.

The filter is a Tagelus TA60 which calls for 325lbs of sand. A few places recommend changing the media every 5 years. Something about the sand actually wearing over time making it less effective.

The pH is a little low, 6.8.

One thing I notice is that the pressure doesn't really go up much after a backflush. The filtering does seem somewhat more effective afterwards though. Since we've had so much rain and I've had to drain the pool several times I've backflushed for extended periods hoping it would help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.