Managing CYA

cramar

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Nov 10, 2010
Sault Ontario
Hopefully this is on the right board.
I've had my pool up for a couple weeks now, BBB is working great. With regards to CYA levels, I've read that rainfall and heavy swimming loads will drop the CYA levels, so just wondering if someone can point me in the direction to help manage this level without retesting all the time. The CYA test in the Taylor kit uses a lot of the agent.

Just wondering if there is a general rule like "after a heavy rain add 1 cup" or something like that.

If you raise CYA to the high end of the normal range, it should stay in range through the entire swim season, unless there is way more rain than normal or something else that causes massive water replacement. You lose CYA slowly though splash out and backwashing, and if it rains enough to cause water to overflow, but that is normally only enough to lower CYA very slowly. Typically you only need to test two or three times per season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.