How often to run filter?

Aug 11, 2010
Like many folks if I could save some money running my pool filter I would be happy.
I have a 24' x 4' AG with a DE 50 filter and right now I'm running it 8a-4p 7 days per week.
We only use the pool maybe 3 or 4 times per week right now for an hour or two per time.

This will be the first full year of the pool so I'm still trying to figure things out (we moved in August 1 2010)
The previous owner had the schedule set the way it is.

What size is your pump? You need to run the pump long enough for 1 turnover of water minimum per day. Here is a little information on pump run time. If the pool has been looking good on 8 hours a day, try cutting it in half for a week to see how the water looks.

Filter says 50 GPM and If the calculation is right a 24' x 4' round has a 13,500 gallon capacity.

13,500 / every minute 50 gallons = 270 minutes for a turn over? (4.5 hours)

Assuming that is correct I guess I will scale it back from 8 hours run time daily to 5 for the week and see how it goes.
If that is a bad approach just let me know. Thanks.

Just as a side note here: It seems like people keeping Baquacil here on the forum is about nill. Everyone is converting
Is this more a function of cost or performance (or lack thereof for BQ)

Most folks find TFP when searching for solutions to their pool problems. It seems when baquacil pools develop algae issues, they have a more difficult time clearing them than chlorine users do. Even chlorine users with high CYA seem to have an easier time clearing algae than baquacil users. Faced with severe algae a baquacil user can drain and start over or convert to chlorine. Some convert due to the higher cost of maintaining a baquacil pool. If you are happy with baquacil and don't want to convert that is fine. It would be nice to have someone on the forum who has any advice to offer other baquacil users.

Start running the filter 5 hours a day and keep track of the water clarity. If it starts to cloud then increase the pump time for an hour.

It isn't the specs of the filter that determines the ideal pump run time, but the specs of the pump. What kind of pump do you have?

Both cost and performance enter into the decision to convert. Many people have dramatic problems keeping the pool clean after the first few years and switch for that reason, others are more concerned about the ongoing expense.

There are a couple of baquacil users around, they just don't post very often.

I will set it for 5 hours. The pump says it is a Starbrite DE 50 and the 50 signifies GPM according to the label:

imag0289y.jpg

Higher Res: http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/761/imag0289y.jpg

Ok now I guess I need to figure out how many GPM the PUMP can handle

This is the filter, not the pump. The pump is usually next to the filter and will also have some specs on the label, such as horsepower and voltage. Your filter is rated to handle up to 50 gpm from the pump, but that does not mean the pump you have is producing 50 gpm. Depending on the speed and horsepower of the pump it could be producing more or less than 50 gpm.

zea3 said:
This is the filter, not the pump. The pump is usually next to the filter and will also have some specs on the label, such as horsepower and voltage. Your filter is rated to handle up to 50 gpm from the pump, but that does not mean the pump you have is producing 50 gpm. Depending on the speed and horsepower of the pump it could be producing more or less than 50 gpm.

The labels on the pump are worn but I think I see

Pump portion
Starbright
SBP-100 2 Speed 1-28-A02

Motor
Century LASAR Pool Motor Part 7 - 177782-03
1.5 Horsepower
Type CSM FR R48Y
60 HZ
115 Volts
11.02/2.9 Amps
3450/1725 RPM

I've cut it back to 5 hours run time from the previous 8 and this is day 6 so far (running 8am-1pm instead of until 4pm) Pool still crystal clear but we haven't been in it all week as its been raining most of the week.
Seems to be working pretty good though. Thank you folks for the help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.