The problem with "rock" speakers...

fponzani

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 29, 2008
There's always lots of discussion about the various outdoor rock speakers. I have a pair from Outdoor Speaker Depot and they sound good enough, but I thought I'd throw this out for those folks who are thinking of buying a set. They are great for around a patio, as the speakers in them are angled slightly up from horizontal. But I've found that for hearing the music while in my (inground) pool, I have to turn them up quite a bit, enough that they're too loud for the patio and the neighbors. So, although I haven't tried it yet, I think the better option for pool tunes would be to mount a set of regular outdoor speakers on short posts and point them down towards the pool. This is assuming that your setup is like mine in that the pool is not next to the house. (In which case you could mount them under the eaves and angle them down toward the pool.)

I just thought I'd throw that out for the benefit of those who are looking to buy some outdoor speakers.

Sounds like a good point but my new rock speakers really ROCK :party: and I am not ready to give them up. We do not seem to have your situation and the music sounds great when we are in and out of the pool :whoot: It may be trial and error for others :cheers: :cheers:

I'm considering using the type that you bury in the ground. I've heard them before, and thought they sounded really good. I'm curious to know if anyone has tried them against the regular and/or rock type.

Interesting.....I am about to install4 of these around our pool. Hoping to disperse the sound so it does not have to get to loud. I will see if I can angle them down a little with mulch with out looking to bad...

mynewpool said:
Everyone setup will be different. So what works for one may not work for the other and vice versa.

True. I just bought a set off Amazon. TIC brand, same company that makes the green ones you bury. Paired it up with a cheapo Pyle 15W amp. Anything past half way is louder than ****. Pretty pleased with the sound quality, and the price too.

mynewpool said:
Everyone setup will be different. So what works for one may not work for the other and vice versa.
I second this. I also have on the opposite side of the pool a pair of Bose 151se mounted high on the wall of the Flamingo Lounge, so when I am in the pool I listen with quadraphonic sound :-D well almost but is seems to sound incredible. The wife wanted to add outdoor speakers so that people in the Flamingo Lounge could adjust the volume lower for conversation. You can see my set up in this thread outdoor-rock-speakers-t25771.html

:cheers: :cheers:

Fully agree. I have rock on one side of the pool deck at there native angle, and niles on the otherside attached to the cabana and angled down. The niles sound far better and have to crank the rocks when in the pool.

Looking to replace them with inground TIC of Bose, will post a comparison if it would benefit anyone....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.