Pool installed, just got water tested at pool shop.

Apr 22, 2011
Ohio
Ok, so pool was installed on Thursday. On Friday, I added one lbs shock, and diluted 1lbs CYA. The CYA took to long, so I have the other 2 lbs in a sock, over the edge. Here are my numbers:

FC - 1.5
CC or TC - 2.0
pH - 7.73
TA - 227
CH - 250
CYA - 8

It is now Sunday at 5pm. I plan to add the Muriatic Acid. They said to shut the pump off for one hour when I pour it is, then run the pump overnight. Is this how I should do it? And then any other advice is welcome. FC was about 5-6 after I had shocked it on Friday. Yesterday, it was at 3. Should I add more shock, or is that part done, and just get FC to 2-3 and keep it there?

With CYA around 10 you probably need to add 3 or 4 ppm of chlorine each evening, so that FC is at least 1 the next evening. As CYA comes up you will be able to add less chlorine and reach a slightly higher FC level.

Have the pump running while you add acid, and keep the pump running for at least half an hour afterwards. I suggest adding about 4 cups of acid. I'm trying to imagine what they were thinking about having the pump off and then on overnight, but I can't think of anything other than risking damaging the pool :)

What the pool store calls "shock" is just another form of chlorine. Shocking the pool is a process, not a thing that you add. Products sold as "shock" usually contain chlorine plus either CYA or calcium. You can use them as a chlorine source as long as you want the additional things they contain.

JasonLion said:
I'm trying to imagine what they were thinking about having the pump off and then on overnight, but I can't think of anything other than risking damaging the pool :)
I think that they were probably thinking about the acid column vs. walking around method/myth.

First, the myth. As we mentioned in the 1995 research journal article, at that time many pool industry publications promoted this (faulty) method of preferentially lowering pH and/or alkalinity:

That if acid is added by walking it around a pool and evenly distributing it throughout the water, the pH will be preferentially lowered, with only a minor decrease of alkalinity.

And that if acid is poured in a concentrated area, variously referred to as a column, slug, well or cloud, the alkalinity will be drastically reduced, but the pH will not drop as much as it otherwise would.

http://poolhelp.com/handouts/oB_Acid%20 ... andout.pdf

Ordering test kit soon. (credit number was stolen, so waiting for new card)

When I add chlorine, do I need to have the solar cover off? Only chlorine I have tonight, is either the 1 lb of shock, which is 73% Calcium HypoChlorite. Or I have the 1" trichlor pucks that go in the chlorinator. Will the pucks dissolve enough tonight to keep the CH above 1?

4 cups?!?! Man, they told me one gallon, and probably another gallon tomorrow. I guess they hope I swing it the other way, and need more chemicals? :hammer:

Add the acid to the skimmer, or walk the 4 cups around the pool? And again, should the solar cover be off? (I haven't taken it off yet, since the water is still only to 72 degrees. Was 60, 2 days ago.

DBfan187 said:
no no no never add acid to the skimmer, kiss your o-rings and seals goodbye!

Ok, thanks. I will take off the solar cover tomorrow, and add 4 cups and wait an hr or so before putting the cover back on. How long do you think I need to wait for the acid to be in the pool, before it is safe to swim? (Maybe I will just do it in the evening)

Dilute the acid first. It's easy. Take a plastic bucket, even an old tupperware bowl or pitcher, scoop out some pool water, measure your acid and pour it into the bucket, then pour that in, in front of a return jet so it gets pushed out and mixed right away. Then rinse the bucket in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.