JoeFixes in NH

Jun 19, 2011
Southern NH
Hello to all

I am a new member from NH. I own an above ground pool which we have been mostly guessing at maintaining for the past 6 years. We do pretty good for amateurs. In truth my wife does most of the pool's maintenance. But when we have a problem with the water we bring a sample to the pool store where they load us up with chemicals. Honestly it's just getting to be too much cost to maintain it this way so I looking around for a way to get the knowledge myself and hopefully drive the cost down. Right now our maintenance plan is to put a bottle of shock in every two weeks or so whether it needs it or not. It has worked in the past.

At any rate I know there is a lot to learn, and I look forward to the support of those you with the expertise. Thanks in advance.

JoeFixes

Welcome. :wave:

Now the friendly greeting is out of the way, let me say: your maintenance plan could use some improvement.

You really need to spend a few hours reading Pool School. There's also a couple threads with testimonials here and here about maintaining pools our way. It's more of a daily thing, just a couple minutes, using your own test kit and only adding what it needs.

Once the pool water gets balanced and you get used to running the tests (first week or two) your pool will look better than you ever imagined, and you may never need to shock again. And your expenses will go waaaaay down.

Don't worry. This stuff is really not very difficult and you will pick it up fairly quickly. Ask lots of questions, read Pool School, and get yourself a good test kit (most important). You'll do great!