Copper and Intex SWG

crek31

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2009
I have been looking at getting an Intex SWG. There are so many model numbers, and so far I can't find a comparison table that clearly sets out, in particular, which models do and don't come with the copper ionization thing. For example, I am finding a Model 56601E that appears to still be available for purchase. On this site, I find reference to Model 56601 being copper-free ---- but not sure that the "E" at the end is the same unit. Also, I see threads on this forum where people confirm that on certain units you can disengage the copper part and use it just for the SWG part. But I can't tell if that means it can be disconnected on all models, or only certain models.

So, really, what I'm asking is
: Is anyone aware of an Intex SWG that has the copper thing and that CANNOT be easily modified to take the copper out of the equation? I'm okay buying one with copper - I just don't want to buy a model where I'm stuck actually using the copper. Just looking for the model to avoid if there is one where it is all or nothing.

crek31 said:
Is anyone aware of an Intex SWG that has the copper thing and that CANNOT be easily modified to take the copper out of the equation?

Bama rambler is correct. There are no models where the copper cannot be disconnected.

Also, I just posted a thread a minute ago mentioning that I saw on Intex's website that the older model with out copper appears to be available for purchase. I went so far as putting it in the shopping cart and to the point of entering my credit card details. I want to call them next week when I have time, but if you are ready to purchase you may want to call them tomorrow and see. It's listed at $189 so it's not terribly more than Ebay prices.

If you decide to get the one with copper anyway, Walmart.com is the cheapest that I have found... $139 and shipping free if you select site to store.

I had purchased the SWG at my local Walmart for $199. I know I could have gotten it cheaper elsewhere at the time, but I was lot easier to pay off on my Walmart CC instead of using limited cash at the time. Anyway, a day or so later, I am browsing their site and see the same dang thing for $139. They wouldn't give me difference if I brought my receipt back up there, so I boxed the thing up and took it back and ordered it online for $60 cheaper. Plus that put the cost for the extended warranty in a smaller bracket and the price for the extended warranty was almost nothing ($8 I think?).

So far I love it. I was all BBB for the last 2 years, but using bottled bleach. So far in 3 weeks I haven't had to carry a single bottle of bleach from the store.. I LOVE IT!!!!!! I just check my number and add a little acid every now and then and it is SO much easier to maintain thus far.

I do have to leave it running for about hours a day but I don't care. If I had to buy a new one every year, the convenience alone is worth it. But so far, people are reporting getting 2-3 years out of 1. So I'll take those odds.

Thanks for the responses! I bought one today at walmart for 199. Just looked online to do what rastoma did and was going to return this one to the store. But it is 169 not 139, so I'll only save $30, but that willpay for the extended warranty (even tho disconnecting the copper probably voids it anyway).

So, I haven't opened this thing up yet, since I don't even have a pool up yet. Now I'm off to youtube in hopes of a step bybstep videp of how to disconnect it so I 'm ready if and when the new covered patio and as yet to be determined pool (intex or oval permanent AG) is ever ready. Was shooting for July 4th weekend, but I think it will be at least the following weekend:(

I have the new style from walmart and I just unpluged the copper conector from top of tube to turn off copper as was turning pool green, I can get fc up at all, I was using bacucile before I am now doing the coversion with the bleach deal, water is yellow now and hopefuly I wont have to drain and start over.

dragtruck1965 said:
I have the new style from walmart and I just unpluged the copper conector from top of tube to turn off copper as was turning pool green, I can get fc up at all, I was using bacucile before I am now doing the coversion with the bleach deal, water is yellow now and hopefuly I wont have to drain and start over.

So you left the copper piece in and just unplugged. I tried to remove the whole copper piece today but couldn't find anything that would seal correctly.

My daughter's poor hair was turning green. We need a Smilie with green hair.

auntlavender said:
So you left the copper piece in and just unplugged. I tried to remove the whole copper piece today but couldn't find anything that would seal correctly.
I think you can leave it in but unplugged, the surface will oxidize and not release much copper into the pool. I removed my completely and replaced with a rubber sheet and plastic disk, both cut to inside diameter of the big "nut" used to hold the bar assembly to the swg. So the order was removed the bars, put on gasket, put on plastic disk, re attached the "nut" that was holding the copper bars in the swg and tighten. No leaks, looks great.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.