Vinyl Liner Stains

Jun 4, 2011
New pool owner - started noticing blackish and brownish stains on IG pool liner - numerous, some small, some larger. Seem to get a bit lighter when I shocked. My chemistry is good. Tried scrubbing and running a chlorine puck over it - nothing. Is it algae? Is it organic? Please help. detracts from looks of pool.

Hold the chlorine puck directly on the stain for a couple of minutes. See if it lightens up some

If not, crush up some cheap Vitamin C tablets, put them in a sock, then hold that sock directly down on the stains for maybe 3-4 minutes. Tell us the results

Thanks again for quick reply. Don't have Vit C tabs (take a multi ;-) ) but tried the chlorine puck for a couple of mins and it definitely lightened the stains. Had tried previously but was afraid to leave it on too long so no noticeable difference. This time after 3-4 mins noticeably lighter stains. What's up with that?

That means the stains are organic and elevated levels of chlorine plus frequent brushing will remove them.

My assumption is you cannot test for CYA.

Before we suggest a level to bring your FC up to (and hold it there) we need to know your CYA level. Take a sample to a pool store to get it tested or, better yet, take charge of managing your own pool by purchasing a good kit that will test for everything you need.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.