Borax Mule Team raise pH

Yellowbug33

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2010
I've used a box 76oz? of the borax mule team to try and raise my pH in a span of 4 days. It hasn't raised at all.
Also my CYA was zero upon opening and I've got it up to about 20 so not sure if that is why I can't get my ph up with the borax.
My TA is 90, my FC is 7 and I use liquid 12% chlorine but haven't added any in 4 days and it has only dropped from 7 1/2 to 7 which I can't complain about and my CC is 0.5. Everything comes within the range except I'd like to get the ph up a tad to at least 7.4. Water is clear and feels fine. I run my pump 24 hours on low speed. So can anyone tell me why I can't get the ph up? Is it because of the stabilizer being low. I want to go slow on that as last year it went up too high as I listened to the pool store and used up a lot of chlorine. I use the taylor test kit.

Unless your pool is covered, something is going wrong with your testing. With CYA around 20 you should be losing more than 2/3rds of your FC level each day due to sunlight.

If you recently added granular CYA, that will have lowered the PH, which might have canceled out the PH increase from adding borax. CYA/stabilizer being low will not affect the PH.

Pool does have a heavy solar cover and we haven't had much sun until yesterday. Yes I have added granular CYA so I guess that is why my pH hasn't gone up. pH is 7.2
Do you recommend another type of stablizer over the granular?

Your signature indicates that you're using trichlor tabs. Trichlor will lower pH and raise the FC if you have any in the feeder.

It also depends on how low your pH was before you added the borax.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.