Consistently rising pH

May 21, 2009
Over the last month the pH in my pool has been consistently rising to the point where I need to add Dry Acid on a weekly basis. My numbers are below:

• FC/CC: 3.5/0
    TA: 100
    CH: 200
    pH: 8.2

I live in the Northeast where we have had some rain but I don't think it's been more than in past seasons and I don't remember having this issue before. Any ideas why this happening and any ways to prevent it?

Lower PH to 7.4 with Muratic acid which will also lower TA. TA at 100 is a bit high if you are using Bleach or a saltwater generator for chlorination and may be causing your PH to rise.

Thanks all. I thought 100 TA was good, guess not. So it sounds like I want to lower ph to around 7.0-7.2 and then aerate to raise ph. One more question though when I enter all this into the pool calculator it tells me to add 100oz of dry acid but at the bottom it says 100oz will only lower ph by something like .67. Which is correct?

If your pH is 8.2 and you want to lower it to 7.4 with dry acid, then I calculate using the Pool Calculator that you will need 69 oz. of dry acid to get it there.

Does anybody have any suggestions on where to get Muratic Acid online? My local leslie's store does not carry it and their website says it's sold in the store only. I see a lot of pool company websites that sell pH reducers that they claim are "better than Muratic Acid" but can't find any that sell actual Muratic Acid. Any suggestions? I have been using Dry Acid instead but given the thread above wanted to switch and try out the MA....thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.