Green walls with clear water dilemma

Aug 26, 2010
socal
I need help.
Self clorinator stopped working two weeks ago while we were away. Pool is in S CA and has a solar cover as well. Every inch of the pool surface is covered in algae. We read the forum topic on how to get rid of algae. We got the chlorine level to shock and ran the pump continuously. The free chlorine is staying stable now at shock level, and pH is within range. The water was never murky, just the algae on the walls. Trying now to brush the algae off the surfaces by first using a regular brush, and when that didn't work, switched to a wire brush, which has proven to be very difficult to remove. Seems like the other posts talk about the algae just falling off. What are we doing wrong, or is there something else we need to do?

OK ok :-D
The CYA is 40, metals are ok. I can only give you the color of the chlorine test which is burnt orange because our test kit doesn't go that high, but it didn't change over night. We know by the charts given here that shock level is 16 for our CYA level. We got it to 8 (which we could measure with our test kit) and then doubled the bleach we had added to get it to 8. pH is 7.2.

adoptolderkids said:
The problem with going by color with no numbers is that your chlorine could be going from 30 to 15 or 10 to 5 and you couldn't tell. You may not be maintaining shock level. I know, because I have the same issue!

I know, you're right. We need to get a better tester.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.