Pool at Home - Family away on vacation. Best Way?

texasdad

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 10, 2011
DFW Metro
What is the best thing to do with the pool when gone for a week?

I use Pucks and have the feeder at the pump. The feeder is turned all the way to 5, But with the super HOT weather we have had I've added about 20oz of Clorox to the water every evening to keep the FC at about 5

I have a friend who will stop by once or twice while we are gone, but probably won't run tests to get levels and figure out what to add. The biggest think he'll do is add water to the pool so it doesn't get low past the skimmers and pull air.

I could have the friend add clorox each time. Probably just dump some in, not measure..... Maybe half of a gallon jug? Or just let the auto feeder do what it can and cross my fingers, my FC level shouldn't ever reach 0?

What do most people do when leaving home? Especially those that only use Clorox and don't have the auto feeder at all?

If you are going to be away for a week, it is best to cover the pool, if you can. Adding a fixed amount of chlorine can work quite well if you figure out an appropriate amount of add. Generally, it is safest if you have them add too much, rather than risk it being to little.

My CYA is around 60 or 70.
When I test in the evening my FC is around 3 with the puck feeder at the pump all the way open. I'm adding 20 or so ounces of 6% clorox each night to get it to about 5. I'm not sure how much is really going in since the pump is feeding pucks all day.......

My CYA is around 60 or 70.
Time to pull the pucks out of your pool. If you don't, your CYA will become too high and your pool will become very difficult to manage.

Next, Have your neighbor add one SMALL jug of Clorox each evening...that'll give you 3ppm daily and should have you covered.

If he can only get by every three days, make it three small jugs but daily is better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.