Pool Schooling from the store-contradiction - Funny

May 13, 2009
Mn
So we're getting our pool (hopefully the city approves) in two weeks. I'm doing my "required" homework by going through the store's Pool School. I had to laugh when it said "don't use liquid test kits, they are never accurate. The test strips are more accurate and convenient" and then it adds that you cannot go swimming for 12 hours after adding liquid cholrine.

Umm, Why can't I go swimming after adding liquid chlroine? Wouldn't it be diluted into the 15,000 gallons of water, just like a puck dissolving over time?

And if I maintain my levels of free chlorine, do I really need to shock once a week? I thought the whole idea is to maintain the pool...not let it get out of control so I have to shock it every week.

Just thought the comments were sort of funny. Fortunately, the pool store isn't to hip on pushing the chemicals that they are supposed to be selling.

Like many businesses, pool stores that depend on chemical sales are hurting. The local stores that do hate me because I teach my clients about how to care for their pool using the methods here. They can either lower their chem prices or use the reduced space needed/justified for chem sales for something more profitable like pool toys and accessories. If they don't, they will continue to suffer.

Since I don't depend on chemical sales such as Alk Increaser or pH-Up and use A&H Baking Soda and Washing Soda and the clients see me using it and see it saves them about 40%, it builds credibility. AFAIK, I am the only pool pro doing this in my area.

They see me use my TF-100. I tell them that using this will keep them from needing me for chemical related issues. They learn there is no Jedi magic to caring for a pool. It just takes some looking after.

I tell them about TFP, Pool School, and if they follow through, I only hear from them when its time to open, close, fix something broken, or add something new. Suits me just fine. They say helping others helps you more. I agree. I like being able to look in the mirror with a clean conscience.

Scott

PoolGuyNJ said:
Like many businesses, pool stores that depend on chemical sales are hurting. The local stores that do hate me because I teach my clients about how to care for their pool using the methods here. They can either lower their chem prices or use the reduced space needed/justified for chem sales for something more profitable like pool toys and accessories. If they don't, they will continue to suffer.

Since I don't depend on chemical sales such as Alk Increaser or pH-Up and use A&H Baking Soda and Washing Soda and the clients see me using it and see it saves them about 40%, it builds credibility. AFAIK, I am the only pool pro doing this in my area.

They see me use my TF-100. I tell them that using this will keep them from needing me for chemical related issues. They learn there is no Jedi magic to caring for a pool. It just takes some looking after.

I tell them about TFP, Pool School, and if they follow through, I only hear from them when its time to open, close, fix something broken, or add something new. Suits me just fine. They say helping others helps you more. I agree. I like being able to look in the mirror with a clean conscience.

Scott

An honest guy, I applaud you. Sad thing is if you keep teaching your clients how easy it really is to maintain a pool, they'll start doing it themselves and you'll lose clients. Almost self defeating, but integrity is more important than the almighty $ for you (and me), unlike the pool store guys / gals. Then again, those clients will, hopefully, pass along "word of mouth" advertising to their friends and family. And that's the best advertising for the $$. And some clients are just too lazy or just too busy to do it themselves so I am sure you are never at a need for clients.

Scott has the right idea (IMO) of promoting the pool industry :cheers:

Educate pool owners and save them $ and they will become your loyal customers. The folks that sell all the unnecessary stuff and have the pool owners coming back constantly with problems are NOT! :hammer: promoting, nor improving, the pool industry. :rant:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.