Anchor cover

Jul 3, 2007
Maryland
My pool cover, which has yet to be installed, was included in the price of my A&S contract. It is an Anchor brand solid cover with pump. Should I expct this to be of any quality? How does it compare to the Loop Loc covers?

grivera said:
My pool cover, which has yet to be installed, was included in the price of my A&S contract. It is an Anchor brand solid cover with pump. Should I expct this to be of any quality? How does it compare to the Loop Loc covers?

I bought the A&S solid cover with my 2 yr old A&S pool also. The cover is very high quality, very good reinforcements and many tie-downs. The cover is thick but pliable material and I am very happy with it. The quality is better than most that I have seen on my neighbors homes, so I think the premium payed for the A&S cover was worth the extra cost. And going with the solid cover is the way to go, as no sunlight or water goes into your pool during the winter. My pool water was crystal clear when I opened the pool in April.

Be careful with the cover pump. The hose fitting comes off the pump discharge rather easy, and I had to tape it to keep it on. Also, run the minimum length of hose off the pump to get the cover water past the pool deck or the hose will freeze up!! I found, that after a rain, I would raise the hose and drain the hose back to the pump to clear the hose of water if a freeze was coming, or I would end up with a frozen hose that thaws much slower than the water on the pool cover!!

A&S included the cover first install as part of the pool contract (they also closed the pool for free the first time).

Overall-I am extremely pleased that I bought my cover thru A&S.

grivera said:
Thanks Donaldm, thats the info I was seeking. Is yours the type you can walk on?

Yes-you can walk on the cover-in fact A&S walked on it to prove the point after the first install. My dog sometimes walks on the cover also, and the dog's toenails have not penetrated the material.

The only issue I had was how tight the cover should be. Based on the Anchor website, I adjust the straps such that the cover lies 6-8in droop at the shallow end with the springs at 50% (where I put the cover pump)(I have a free form kidney with the kidney bigger at the shallow end)(cover just barely touches the water), and progressively tighter (less droop) at other locations such that the rain water flows to the pump. The second issue, was using a short length of hose so I can drain it prior to a freeze. The third issue, was that the hose fitting on the pump discharge is a pressed fitting vice threaded, and I had to use duct tape to keep it fastened when the pump runs.

As a practise, I only plug in power to the pump when I expect rain as the pump attempts a start every 60sec in order to detect water. I figured this was unnecessary wear on the pump motor

Feel free to drop me a private message if you have other pool questions, including A&S issues. Overall, I have been very happy with the A&S quality. The only thing I wished I had done was go with a SWG at the beginning. On my second year, I finally got tired of the Chlorox bottles and installed an Autopilot SWG that generates the chlorine. Easy install yourself.
Don

Thanks for the info. They installed it yesterday, the quality is as you stated and the install looks good. They didn't have the pump on hand and said they will bring it later this week. They said you screw a short garden hose to it.

I personally don't like Anchor covers. The tend to be heavy and after about 5 years, the canvas looses some pliability. Once they get a hole in them, the cover pump sucks pool water out until the hole is above the waterline. There are so many anchors! They are not as strong as a Loop-Loc or Merlin. I have not found their product support to be very supportive.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.