Doughboy pool advice

May 31, 2011
We are in the final stages of purchasing a 21 x 41 doughboy pool. We are doing the deep end and concreting around the pool so as to achieve the inground look. Does anyone else have any experience with this method of installing an above ground pool? I'd appreciate any advice, this is my first pool. Thanks :)

Mommafox,
I am in the process of doing the same thing. My only issue is that my contractor told me that if I put in a deep end using the expandable overlap liner, and concrete around the pool, I would need to bust up the concrete if they ever needed to replace the liner, so he advised me to do a beaded liner, but with a beaded liner you can't have a deep end. Just wondering anyones thoughts on that.

Also, they need to install it exactly as outlined in this link for the warranty to be valid, otherwise Doughboy will void it.

http://www.doughboy-swimmingpools.com/inground.pdf

abbysdad said:
Mommafox,
I am in the process of doing the same thing. My only issue is that my contractor told me that if I put in a deep end using the expandable overlap liner, and concrete around the pool, I would need to bust up the concrete if they ever needed to replace the liner, so he advised me to do a beaded liner, but with a beaded liner you can't have a deep end. Just wondering anyones thoughts on that.

Also, they need to install it exactly as outlined in this link for the warranty to be valid, otherwise Doughboy will void it.

From those pics, it looks like you'll have to leave at least a minimum of 6" of the top of the pool exposed. If that's the case, then you should be able to change the liner without having to bust up the concrete. If you're planning on running the concrete right up to the top of the pool, then your builder may be correct. One option to consider would be installing pavers around the pool which could then be removed and put back in place if you ever have to change the liner.

Rockhopper said:
abbysdad said:
Mommafox,

From those pics, it looks like you'll have to leave at least a minimum of 6" of the top of the pool exposed. If that's the case, then you should be able to change the liner without having to bust up the concrete. If you're planning on running the concrete right up to the top of the pool, then your builder may be correct. One option to consider would be installing pavers around the pool which could then be removed and put back in place if you ever have to change the liner.

Thanks Rockhopper, so is 6 inches enough room to install an overlap liner, I may take you up on your advice and do pavers instead.

We are also doing the deep end and we've discussed and accounted for when/if the liner ever needs to be replaced down the road so I know it can be done. Im meeting with him tomorrow on site to finalize some things and I'll try to give you some more details on this tomorrow:)

Hi... I know this is an old post but I'm wondering if you went forward and buried the doughboy and if you have any words of advice. We are getting close to going this route as well.

Thanks in advance!

aimyee said:
Hi... I know this is an old post but I'm wondering if you went forward and buried the doughboy and if you have any words of advice. We are getting close to going this route as well.

Thanks in advance!

Hi. We buried our 32x16 Doughboy and have a 7' deep end. We didn't put the slurry around it, wish we had. But we haven't had any problems with it whatsoever. We hard-plumbed it and added a 2nd return and switched out the single-speed pump with a dual-speed (best decision EVER) after the install. I'm adding a link and hope it works. When I queried my earlier entry looking for the link, I pulled it up and it had a lot of family pics, instead of the pool and deck builds. So hopefully, the correct link will come through now: Pool build: http://s586.photobucket.com/user/cherie ... 0853793755

Deck build: http://s586.photobucket.com/user/cherie ... 3929208039

Our neighbor decided to buy the same pool, only he did it right! He had the slurry put in, cement decking, big skimmer - looks just like an in-ground pool. Wish he'd put up pictures of his install. Hope this helps.

Danielle, I believe the instructions that came with your pool lay out the specifics, such as how far out and how deep the slurry should be, which is what you need in order to figure out how much slurry. I can try to find ours, since we're 16x32 also, but you could also google it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.