How to change speeds on 2 speed pumps?

Aquatica

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 26, 2010
Nassau, Bahamas
I installed a TriStar dual speed 1.5HP pump. I have it running on the low speed but would like to connect it up so I can select low or high speed as I need high speed for vacuuming.

Do I need some sort of controller to switch speeds? Nothing came with the pump.

Hmmm, do you have a switch that you use, to turn it on and off? My Hayward 2 speed, has a toggle switch, almost like a light switch, but it goes in three positions. Left is low, middle is off, and right is high.

No, I meant a switch on the pump itself. My pump, has an on/off switch right on it. Was just wondering if they all were that way. Depending if I flip that switch to the left or right, it is on hi or low.

This may not answer your question but it may be a solution to your issue. I gather you want to switch speeds for the vacuuming process without having to walk back and forth between the vacuum setup and the pump?

We wired an additional on/off switch and mounted it on the pool deck near the skimmer basket. To vacuum, I set the switch on the pump to high. Then I turn the pump off on the deck mounted switch, set up my vacuum equipment, and turn the pump back on, running on high now. When I'm done vacuuming, I turn the pump off, disassemble the vacuum, turn it back on, then walk over to the pump and set its switch back to low.

Drayken said:
Hmmm, do you have a switch that you use, to turn it on and off? My Hayward 2 speed, has a toggle switch, almost like a light switch, but it goes in three positions. Left is low, middle is off, and right is high.

what model Hayward do you have? I was expecting this Tristar to have a switch on the pump so we can select high speed for vacuuming. thats all we need. now I hear we got to buy a $250 controller to change speeds. :(

You don't need a controller, unless a controller is required to qualify for a rebate or there is some other reason to have an automation system. All you need is a switch. Many two speed motors come with the switch already installed on the motor housing, but not all. If your pump didn't come with a switch, you can always get a switch and mount it in an electrical junction box. You need a single pole double throw switch, typically a center off switch is used. The center/common contact is hooked up to one of the hot wires and the two side terminals are connected to the high and low speed terminals on the motor. The other hot wire goes directly to the common terminal on the motor.

JasonLion said:
You don't need a controller, unless a controller is required to qualify for a rebate or there is some other reason to have an automation system. All you need is a switch. Many two speed motors come with the switch already installed on the motor housing, but not all. If your pump didn't come with a switch, you can always get a switch and mount it in an electrical junction box. You need a single pole double throw switch, typically a center off switch is used. The center/common contact is hooked up to one of the hot wires and the two side terminals are connected to the high and low speed terminals on the motor. The other hot wire goes directly to the common terminal on the motor.

Thanks Jason. This would save us some money. I will get my electrician to install a switch. Many thanks! :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.