Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Got my kit recently and still trying to figure out whats going on. Water is clear. Seems to me I just need to bring a few up and a few down and will be in balance. We just switched this week to a SWG.

6/14/2011 - 1st Set
FC - 1.5
CC - 1
TC - 2.5
pH - 7.5
TA - 160
CH - 300
CYA - 38
Salt - 3800
Temp - 74

6/18/2011 - 2nd Set
FC - .5
CC - 1
TC - 1.5
pH - 7.5
TA - 170
CH - 220
CYA - 20
Salt - 3800
Temp - 75

I am trying to determine where I need to get with regard to FC. I am a SWG pool, but my CYA is around 30. I put 2 gallons of bleech in last night which the PC said would get me to around 6-7. I am going to test tonight. Should I be goaling for some where between 8-12 to get to shock level?

I will be adding conditioner once I get the levels in line. I also plan on picking up some dry acid and getting the TA down via aeration.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I assume I am going about this the right way. I am trying to get CC down to 0.5 first. Then get the CYA back to around 80. Then I will work on getting T/A down to 80.

Yep, finish shocking and then adjust #'s. :goodjob:

Make sure you complete the shock process before you increase the CYA (to your upper SWG limits), as it will be easier and cost less $$ shocking at the lower CYA level.

You are done shocking when you meet 3 criteria. See red line in my sig.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just thought of another thing, should I turn off the SWG overnight or just let it keep going?

Thank you so much for all the help thus far. I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Ok, got the pool to shock level last night. I took tests before shocking and after. Also checked the FC/CC level about an hour after adding the bleach.

Pre-Shock:
FC-0.5
CC-1
TC-1.5
pH-7.5
T/A-160
CH-210
CYA-20

Hour after shock:
FC-12.5
CC-0.5
TC-13

This Morning:
FC-0.5
CC-0.5
TC-1
pH-7.5
T/A-160
CH-180
CYA-50

What doesn't make sense to me is the inconsistent CYA readings. So, is the next step adding more bleach to bring FC up to somewhere like 3-5? Or should I bring shock level back up again? The water lookes clear. I think I had a slight green tint before. My walls are a blue plaster, so the green kinda makes sense, as the water looks a more vivid blue. Had the SWG running all night as well. Now my SWG is reporting salt level around 3800-4000. I need to get that down, but I am going to have to backwash soon, so I will be dropping it some when I do that.

jf,

Sorry, but you haven't shocked. :( You never got to shock value (around 20ppm) and you didn't replenish the FC to KEEP IT AT SHOCK VALUE.

Please read "How to Shock your Pool" in Pool School and follow that article carefully. :lol:

About your CYA level, it will not increase without having it added in some form.

The CYA test can be off +/-15 ppm, so (assuming none was added) your original 30 CYA is probably still close. Also, testing at different times of day under different lighting can/will create different readings.

I suggest you use your original test of 30 CYA for shock purposes and don't increase the CYA until you are done shocking.

The tests you should do while shocking are FC & CC. Make sure your pH is in range, 7.4ish, before you raise to shock level.

You don't need to run the TA, CH or CYA test during the shock process. If you have been doing a lot of backwashing, the CYA could/would be (perhaps testable) lower, but that would not explain an increase in your CYA level.

If you have questions, pls post back.

I had one shock pack left and I had thrown that in on Sunday night. It was a Bioguard Burnout 35. Would that have raised the CYA from 30 to 50? I got more bleach at lunch today and I got enough to go up to FC 20, but am not sure if I should go that high with this mysterious CYA fluctuation.

FYI ShopRite is having a sale 4 96oz bottles for $5.

and I got enough to go up to FC 20
But that implies you did not get enough to KEEP IT AT 20. Chlorine must be HELD at shock level until your pool is crystal clear.

Sorry to beat a dead horse but it doesn't seem to me like you are following or understanding the shock process in Pool School. Assume your CYA is 30ppm and go with it until your pool is clear.

Burn Out 35 is lithium hypochlorite, does not contain CYA and is very expensive.

It sounds like you are working and only able to dose your pool morning and evening?
If that is the case, shocking every morning and evening (after the sun is off your pool) will have to work - only will take longer.

Have you used the Pool Calculator to help with doses?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.