Is Shiny water a sign of algae?

Oct 11, 2007
spartanburg, sc
ever notice sometimes the water looks really shiny? My wife swears that every time she notices the "shine", that the pool is about to start an algae bloom. The water is balanced, I have algaecide in it. It's really clean. I think she's nuts, but maybe there is something to it? Anyone have any input?

Shiny as in oily or shiny as in sparkly?

Well, you could post a full set of test results and we could see if there is a method to her er, madness :lol:
Also, your #'s could appear balanced when you are on the verge of a bloom, but your water looks 'off' or 'flat' or perhaps even 'shiny' (I don't know), depending on what you have put in your water!

Some algaecides contain things that you don't want in your pool :grrrr:
We recommend that if you are needing one, use PolyQuat60.

fas titration test kit through taylor. I use a combo of bleach and tabs. I've ruined a lot of shirts with bleach splash back, so tabs are just more convenient for my life. I tend to keep a bit higher chlorine and a bit lower ph than normal. It seems to work the best for me. I have a lot of kid action - as in like 8 to 10 kids in my pool, including dogs.

taylor-test-kits-k1515a.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.