Safety equipment?

Apr 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
What are some good things to have for keeping our pool safe for our kids (and the neighbor's kids)?

Our pool is fenced in separately from the rest of our yard, so that's a good step, but should we get some sort of alarm device or something for if our kid or our neighbor's kid somehow sneak in and accidentally fall in?

I've already heard of a number of kids drowning this summer and I'm already super nervous about our pool...so recommendations for anything that could help keep things safer would be great.

It's GREAT that you are thinking about safety! :goodjob:

Taking a lifesaving course is a good thing. Having a skimmer/ vacuum pole that reaches over 1/2 way across the pool is a good thing. A phone, to call 911, is a MUST! You can also get a throw-able flotation device.

PLEASE read this :hammer:

Thanks Ted. I'm also really interested in stuff for when we aren't out there (like that alarm, or something of the sort). I'm not as concerned about when we're out there and able to extend a pole or jump in to help, but more so if our kid or the neighbors somehow sneak in without anybody around.

Motion detectors are helpful to alert you to anyone going into an area of concern. You can have the detectors alarm inside the house or even alert you by various means such as phone, text, e-mail etc.

Door and gate alarms are also helpful.

Video surveillance is now very affordable. You can set it up so that you can watch the video feed from anywhere using wired or mobile internet. Video cameras with low light capabilities and infrared illuminators are best to allow monitoring at night. Software is available to detect motion in a video source.

There are a variety of pool alarms that detect disturbances in the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.