First Estimate

Jun 10, 2011
Just got my first estimate. Let me know what you guys think

21'x39' 3.5' to 8.5' free form gunite with diamond brite finish extra wide stairs and bench in deep end
Pentair Intellipro VS + SVRS pump
Sta rite cartridge filter
Pentair Intellichlor salt chlorinator
Sacrificial zinc anode
All permits, engineering drawings, electrical, excavation costs
Water
2" PVC 40 with 90 degree sweeps
Gunite shell is coated with aquron
Stainless steel light niches with LED color changing lights (2)
wall and tile scrubbing robotic cleaner
Flow meter
Free heat circulation package
3 drains
2 skimmers
3 returns
Equibond bonding grid around pool
All steps and benches will be rebar reinforced
Poured concrete pad for equipment
Borates
1 month free chemical analysis and balancing
3 yr warranty on labor and materials for equipment
10 yr warranty on quartz finish

Total: $45000

Options: sr smith turbo typhoon slide installed - $2850
400sf concrete with cantilever edge - $2950
Heater : 400k BTU pentair installed - $2500

This is all without any type of negotiating.

Thanks

That all looks very fair to me. Good size and nice equipment at a reasonable price.
The main suggestion I would make is much more decking. 400 sf is just going to cover about a 3ft wide border around it. Do you have any other patio or deck to join up to?

I would probably get at least 2 more bids and references on anyone you plan to use.

Best of luck,
John.

rv4hess said:
That all looks very fair to me. Good size and nice equipment at a reasonable price.
The main suggestion I would make is much more decking. 400 sf is just going to cover about a 3ft wide border around it. Do you have any other patio or deck to join up to?

I would probably get at least 2 more bids and references on anyone you plan to use.

Best of luck,
John.

John:

Thanks for the response. We have an existing patio that he is planning to build off of. Here's a link to the 3D video he put together for me: http://youtu.be/fakNirv7RBk?hd=1

I have another bid coming for concrete, as well as bids for vinyl.

Thanks,
Tom

guamguy said:
It sounds like the builder knows his stuff, especially since they are including a zinc anode, a flowmeter, and borates.

Yes, Guamguy, the PB comes highly recommended. I've asked around. He is also a custom home builder who got tired of his home owners complaining about the pools they put in after he got done building them their dream home. So...he got into the pool business. He's all about giving you the best bang for your buck. It's a bit pricey; but I'm thinking, I don't want to have to worry about the process or the end product. I think I'll get that with this guy. But we're early in the process....who knows.

No spa though? We tend to use our spa more often than the pool, even when the weather is cold (okay, we're talking coastal Southern California cold, so I guess I must qualify that!). It is really nice to sit in the spa and unwind. Ours is plumbed into the same equipment as the pool, and Jandy 3-way valves control the water flow in the spa vs. the pool. When the water flow is just directed into and out of the spa, it takes only about 15-20 minutes to heat it up to bathtub temps. The spa return jets are plumbed with a venturi air injector, so you get the little bubbles like a Jacuzzi as well. If you hadn't considered it, you might ask the builder how much more to add a side spa to the bid. I know I would.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CraigMW said:
No spa though? We tend to use our spa more often than the pool, even when the weather is cold (okay, we're talking coastal Southern California cold, so I guess I must qualify that!). It is really nice to sit in the spa and unwind. Ours is plumbed into the same equipment as the pool, and Jandy 3-way valves control the water flow in the spa vs. the pool. When the water flow is just directed into and out of the spa, it takes only about 15-20 minutes to heat it up to bathtub temps. The spa return jets are plumbed with a venturi air injector, so you get the little bubbles like a Jacuzzi as well. If you hadn't considered it, you might ask the builder how much more to add a side spa to the bid. I know I would.

No...no spa. The Boss (aka "the wife") :wink: said she wasn't interested. And considering I'm raising 3 girls, I figure it's bad enough I'll have a pool. :shock:

Well I've received other estimates, and after doing the best apples to apples comparison I could, I decided to go with the PB that provided the estimate I detailed above. We did some back and forth negotiating, and I was able to get the options of concrete and the slide plus fencing (160lf @ $25lf installed) for $52k. I think I got a fair deal. PB was very upfront about costs and his margins. I'll start a build thread once we get closer to breaking ground - hopefully within 4 weeks!

As for adding returns, multi tier water fountains are reasonable and popular now.
You might want to consider a return on the floor or a side area where you might add a floating fountain? :idea:
Maybe in the step area for a spa like jet :?:
How about a deck jet?
Do you have water planned for the slide?
Just a thought since people are recommending more returns.

Best of luck,
John

I am pretty sure this builder is including 3 wall returns and 3 adjustable floor returns.

"free heat circulation" is a fancy way to say that adjustable floor returns are included.

How do I know this? I am that builder. and thanks to everyone on this forum for helping teach my potential customers that we really are doing it right! I've sent countless customers here and I love when my customers get educated.

If this customer has some spare time, he might be convinced to share some of the tall tales he heard in his hunt for a pool builder.

My personal favorite...one builder told him that there was no need for salt water chlorination because the local water is 6.8 ph and that low level is more than enough the keep the water clean on its own! I am not making that up.

t

acaciolo said:
I am pretty sure this builder is including 3 wall returns and 3 adjustable floor returns.

"free heat circulation" is a fancy way to say that adjustable floor returns are included.

How do I know this? I am that builder. and thanks to everyone on this forum for helping teach my potential customers that we really are doing it right! I've sent countless customers here and I love when my customers get educated.

If this customer has some spare time, he might be convinced to share some of the tall tales he heard in his hunt for a pool builder.

My personal favorite...one builder told him that there was no need for salt water chlorination because the local water is 6.8 ph and that low level is more than enough the keep the water clean on its own! I am not making that up.

t

Well folks...meet my PB Tony. Good guy...so far. :wink: Just to show how dedicated he is, he took some time from his long awaited family vacation to hunt down my posts and chime in!

And thanks to the good folks on TFP for helping me make the right (and obvious) choice for a PB. Looking forward to the build with ya Tony...and a few choice beverages along the way. Cheers! :cheers:

P.S. Oh and the stories about the "other" PB, I'll start another thread for those. But the one Tony mentioned above was even better when he added that salt water chlorination is nothing but smoke and mirrors. That if I wanted to do things right, I should use Sustain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.