Deep end cloudy after vacuum

bmark3

Jul 12, 2010
Albany, NY
Here's my backstory. Wednesday afternoon/evening I had the vacuum in the pool (Hayward suction side) for a few hours to clean up some dirt on the bottom. It was dark when I took out the vacuum and turned off the pool for the night. The next morning when I went out the deep end was cloudy (gray/white). Not cloudy enough that I couldn't see the main drain but definitely noticable.

My wife insisted on taking a sample over to the pool store. Their results were close to mine. They, of course, suggested we buy some "shock" which she got.

Ran a full set of tests yesterday after work. I didn't put the "shock" in the pool because I don't think I need to shock the pool.

FC= 3 (put chlorine in for the day to get it back up to around 6.0)
CC=0
TC=3
pH=7.2
TA=130
CH=200
CYA=50 (pool store says 30, I believe the TF100)

I ran the pump all night. Looks about the same this morning.

I wonder if my filters need to be cleaned again? I just did it a few weekends ago. The filters are 5 years old too so I wonder if they just need to be totally replaced. Any thoughts would be great. Maybe I just need to be patient and the vacuum kicked up a lot of Crud and it needs to just run through the filter.

I plugged your information into the pool calculator and it looks like your FC levels should be maintained between 4-8 since your cya is at 50, at 3 you're a little low and if you do have some organics in the pool you could quickly see problems. Could be a bit of algae trying to get hold.

Sometimes when you see something on the bottom, it's just pollen or small debris (we get a lot of tiny tree debris here) and when you brush or swim it stirs it up like a cloud, but that usually settles in a matter of hours even w/the pump running. The filter should pick it up over time if that's what it is, but keep it stirred up so it is easily removed by the filter.

I would tend to lean toward raising the chlorine up to shock level and see if it passes the overnight chlorine test. Then you know you'll be safe for the weekend.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.