Managing high TA and PH climb with a SWCG

bobodaclown

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2011
Murrieta, CA
Hello.
I've read the post about adding Acid (drop the PH 7.0-7.2) then aerating to raise PH to lower TA. I don't need to aerate because my SWCG is doing a great job aerating. My TA is 135ish and it's coming down slowly. My PH climbs a .1 every 2 days or so. I'm using about a gallon of acid a week or so (80 ounces takes it down from 7.8 to 7.2).
The pool calculator numbers are pretty close.
The pool water looks and feels great. I'm thinking about building the acid adder I read about http://www.troublefreepool.com/homemade-acid-or-chlorine-injection-system-t4174.htm

Any suggestions?

What is the TA level of your fill water? If your fill water TA is high, then setting up some kind of acid injection system is a good idea. If your fill water TA is low, then you just need to do this once and you will be done, so no point in making an acid injection system.

Active aeration would allow you to lower the TA far faster, letting you add acid daily or even more frequently, and get the TA down to somewhere that will allow the PH to be stable in several day, instead of weeks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.