to renew or not renew home warrenty for pool

Jan 7, 2011
North Texas
I can't believe it but we are coming up on our one year anniversary in our new digs in July. Thanks to TFP, I am definitely a much more confidant pool owner this summer! Am still trying to find that "sweet spot" but already having 100 degree days, I pretty much think adding bleach every day is gonna be the way it goes for now.
Anyhoo, our home warranty is up for renewal and we are debating whether we need to keep the part for the pool (additional $150). Since we have moved in, this is what has been replaced: pump motor, both filters and cartridges, psi thingys, the light and we have re tiled and replastered as well.
We want to be prudent, but I think all the major stuff has been replaced now. would love the insight of the oh so wise folks here!
Thanks,
B

texasdad said:
Home warranties are a bad idea all the way around. Don't get one on your pool or house.

The pool aside, we wish we had had a home warranty on our house that first year. It was amazing how many things were not evident during the home inspection but broke, stopped working, or fell apart within our first 12 months in the house. :cry:

Lana

bubbles said:
Anyhoo, our home warranty is up for renewal and we are debating whether we need to keep the part for the pool (additional $150). Since we have moved in, this is what has been replaced: pump motor, both filters and cartridges, psi thingys, the light and we have re tiled and replastered as well.
If the home warranty covered parts and labor for all of those things, then I think that it is worth it to renew the pool part.

We just sold our home last fall. We offered/paid for a home warranty with the pool rider for our sellers. (We had a home warranty when we bought the house with the pool rider.) In my opinion it was insurance for our reputation more than covering for repairs. We had no issues with our home or pool upon selling and for us the warranty was our way of saying that just in case we missed something, you're covered.

That being said, I wouldn't renew. It's more of a hassle dealing with the warranty company than it's worth to just call your own contractor and get an issue taken care of. Even with a brand new home...we are tiring of having to call the warranty people to deal with things that my local guys could handle the right way the first time because I'M paying them to.

I have used my home warranty twice. Never had a problem and got stuff fixed within two days both times. One was a loose toilet and they came out and fixed it. He had to remove the whole toilet and reset it and all. The next one was my electrical box outside was very loose and got it remounted. I know these do not sound like big things, but only cost me 60.00 each time. So was worth it for me. Now it is a gamble you take.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.