After 5 years closed, from black to cloudy blue: now what?

dayna

May 4, 2011
Washington, DC area
My black putrid swamp has in 3 weeks been transformed to a lovely blue. But it is quite opaque. The pool store recommends a floc treatment. Should I do this? I am running the pool 24/7 and the Polaris most of the daylight hours. Initially, I had to backwash every hour (when I was home and not asleep). Now, after 3 weeks, it can go for 1-1/2 or 2 hour before needing backwashing. The Polaris is not picking up any leaves or twigs, just a black/brown slime and a little sand.
FC: 2.8
CC: 0.2
TC: 3.0
pH: 7.5
TA: 115
CH: 230
CYA: 40

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• pool June 15.jpg
    pool June 15.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 237
Re: After 5 years closed, from black to cloudy blue: now wha

As long as you're still picking up stuff, it's probably too soon to think about floc. Keep shocking. It didn't get black in 3 weeks, it's not going to turn clear that fast, either.

Once the vacuum stops making a noticeable difference, and the water is just hazy, it might be okay to try a flocculant or a clarifier. But get it clear first.

Welcome to TFP!

Richard is right. You don't need to floc. You need to shock and shock level for you is 16 ppm. You are at 2.8 which is too low for anything. Shock until you have 0.5 CC or less, your water loses no more than 1 ppm FC overnight, and you water is clear.

Update - You were right. Following your advice, I did not use floc but did increase the chlorine and continued to backwash very frequently. Result is a crystal clear beautiful pool. Thank you so much.

One question: I have on hand some Pool Perfect and Phos Free. Should I use them? If so, is this in addition to or in lieu of algaecide?

When we first bought our house with an existing pool some years ago, keeping the pool clean and clear was an ongoing struggle that I usually lost even as I spent excessive amounts at the pool store. Using the simple strategies of your website has made having a pool an enjoyable experience. Thanks again for having this site. :-D

dayna said:
One question: I have on hand some Pool Perfect and Phos Free. Should I use them? If so, is this in addition to or in lieu of algaecide?

C'mon now :whip: those are pool store products. No need for it, just you keep your chemistry in check :goodjob:

You don't need Pool Perfect, Phos Free or Algicide

Pool Perfect is an enzyme product for breaking down oils in the water - sunscreen etc. Chlorine will break these things down in normal use.

Phis Free will remove Phosphates. Algae can eat phosphates - but if you keep the chlorine in the pool correctly there wont be any algae - so phosfree is just an expensive solution in search of a problem.

Algicides can provide some protection BUT many Algicides contain metals which can cause staining, green hair, etc. Non-metal Algicides exist but are expensive and unnecessary in a properly maintained pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.